GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Perranzabuloe

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Perranzabuloe, (Cornish: Pyran yn Treth), is situated in the Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Cubert, on the east by Newlyn East, St Allen and Kenwyn, on the south by a detached part of Kea called Tregavethan, Kenwyn and St Agnes, and on the west by St Agnes and the sea. The parish is located to the south-east of Perranporth. The name means 'St Piran-in-the-sands', to distinguish it from other parishes asociated St Piran. The saint originally built an oratory here which had the continual problem of being buried by encroaching sands. Stones from the oratory were used to re-erect the church further inland in 1804.

The origins of the parish lie in the Celtic Monastery of Lanpiran which was in existence before the Norman conquest of 1066. This important monastery is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 as owning much land. "The Canons of St Piran's hold PERRANZABULOE; before 1066 it was always free. There is land for 8 ploughs there. The Canons have one plough and the villeins (villagers) have one. There are 4 villagers, 8 smallholders and 2 slaves. There are 10 acres of pasture, 8 cattle amd 30 sheep".

The chief village of the parish is Perranporth (which is the size of a small town, and is now where the Perranzabuloe Parish Council is based); other villages are Bolingey, Penhallow, and Callestick. The three mile long sandy beach at Perranporth is well known for the surfing competitions which are held there. The hamlet of Perranzabuloe contains the church but very few people now live in the hamlet.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The parish church registers covering the period around 1798 to 1804 have been damaged by water and are virtually unreadable. However, the Bishop's Transcripts, which had been held in the Dioceasan Record Office at Exeter, are now in the Devon Record Office and, which also cover this period, are available.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Perranzabuloe has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Perranzabuloe ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Information about the Perranzabuloe and the North Coast mines is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Perranzabuloe parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1389 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1527 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1702 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2793 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 3161 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 3114 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2959 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 3661 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2630 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 2374 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 2695 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 2366 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 2380 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 2745 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 3623 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 3623 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 4507 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 4630 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 5290 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 5382 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 5737 persons

Return to top of page

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for this parish are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Societies

The Goonhavern Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 10878 acres of land, 16 acres of water, 8 acres of tidal water and 296 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.