GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Philleigh

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Philleigh, (Cornish: Eglosros), or Filly was anciently called Eglos Ross or Heath Church; it is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. Named from St. Fily, a saint about whom little is known, Philleigh is situated on the beautiful rural Roseland peninsula, which is almost an island in the south of Cornwall, bounded by the sea on two sides and the Fal river on the third. On the east, it is bounded by Ruan Lanihorne and Veryan and on the south by Gerrans and St Just-in-Roseland.

Philleigh is listed in the Domesday Survey of 1086 when 'Earl Harold held it before 1066, and paid tax for 1f; 1v. of land there, however. Land for 2 ploughs; ½ plough there; 3 slaves, 3 Smallholders, Pasture 20 acres. Value formerly and now 10s'.

There was a Tolverne ferry across the River Fal from Philleigh to the parish of Kea, with a branch ferry going to the grounds of Tregothnan. The road through the village leads to the King Harry Ferry, where there has been a ferry across the river since medieval times.

The 16th century Roseland Inn beckons the traveller with its low beamed ceilings and reputation for good food. Villages in the parish are the Churchtown, White Lanes and Treworthall.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Philleigh has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Philleigh ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Philleigh parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 315 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 342 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 395 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 432 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 456 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 446 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 363 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 287 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 269 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 244 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 245 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 213 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 217 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 194 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 192 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 268 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 166 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 155 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 170 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 159 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 163 persons

Return to top of page

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Philleigh are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish consists of 2403 acres of land, 20 acres of tidal water and 107 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.