The origin of name 'Port Isaac', (Cornish: Porthusek), is obscure but is believed to have originally been Port
Izzard; in early times it was known as Portissyk. This port dates from
Saxon times, but by the 16th century, its trade was mainly in pilchard fish;
this reached a high point in the 19th century for which extensive cellars were
built. In 1850 there were 49 fishing boats here. Delabole slate was also
exported from here. This quaint fishing village with narrow streets is on the
north coast between Padstow and
Tintagel. The pier was constructed during the reign of Henry VIII, and still
visible, and the coming of the railway increased its prosperity. Although the
railway was closed in 1966, it is still well served by a local coach firm. THe
village grew steadily from the 18th century; John Wesley visted the village in
1750 when he complained that the Meeting House was too small.
sister port, Port Gaverne, Port Isaac is totally surrounded by open countryside
and both lie in an area of outstanding natural beauty and is a Heritage Coast
area. The character of the old fishing village conservation area, and its
setting, is the subject of many planning and development
The ecclesiastical parish was created in 1913 from St Endellion. Other
hamlets here are Trefeock and Trewetha. Today the parish is again part of St
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 26 entries.
Census information for this parish up to, and including 1901, is with St Endellion. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a
census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In 1841, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- 1851. In 1851, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- 1861. In 1861, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- 1871. In 1871, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- 1881. In 1881, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- 1891. In 1891, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- 1901. In 1901, Port Isaac was enumerated as part of St Endellion.
- Anglican. In June 1913, Port Isaac was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9980 and was dedicated to St Peter. It was built between 1882 and 1884. It is constructed of granite and stone in the early English style, and consists of a chancel, nave, north portch and a turret containing one bell. The registers date from 1913.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. A Quaker Meeting House, the first in Cornwall, was built in 1806. It started in the village but it lacked support and in 1832 it was being used by the Baptists;
they failed too and the building became a private house in 1871. It was rebuilt in 1885.
Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here, and another belonging to the United
Wesleyan Methodist Free Church which was registered here in 1846. Today there
are still two chapels: a United Methodist chapel, at the bottom of Rosecarrock
Hill, was built in 1846, and the Wesleyan chapel in the valley.
- There are no holdings of parish registers in the Cornwall
Record Office. It is assumed, therefore, that the registers are still
with the church. The ecclesiastical parish is now part of St Endellion, Port
Isaac and St Kew.
- Other Non-Conformist Records.
- St Endellion/Port Isaac United Methodist Free Church Baptisms 1868 - 1900.
- Port Isaac United Methodist Free (and nearby chapels) baptisms 1868 to 1899 of this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1836 to 1900) of the Camelford Wesleyan Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Advent, St Teath, Lanteglos, St Breward, Wadebridge, Boscastle, Port Isaac, St Breock, St Minver, St Endellion and St Mabyn.
Since its creation in 1913, the parish of Port Isaac has been in the Bodmin
Registration District. There were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle,
Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for St Endellion (including Port Isaac) is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The parish of Port Isaac became part of the Bodmin
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
The parish was created in 1913 from St Endellion. Before this time, the
population figures are included with that parish. Port Isaac is geneally enumerated with St Endellion.
- Population in 1921 - 0 persons
- Population in 1931 - 876 persons
- Population in 1951 - 968 persons
- Population in 1961 - 840 persons
- Population in 1971 - 760 persons
- Population in 1981 - 785 persons
- Population in 1991 - 870 persons
- Population in 2001 - 0 persons
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2010
[Last updated: 30th September 2010 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.