GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places


[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Poundstock, (Cornish: Treggorlann), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by Marhamchurch, on the east by Marhamchurch and Week St Mary, on the south by Jacobstow and St Gennys, and on the west by Widemouth Bay. The name Poundstock is Saxon and means 'cattle enclosure', and the cattle pound was a feature of the village for centuries.
From time immemorial a fair was held at Poundstock on Rogation Monday, and the revel or Dedication Festival is still observed on that day, the Monday before Ascension Day. It is recorded as Pondestock in the Domesday Book of 1086. A church has stood upon this spot for 14 centuries, and the mediaeval Guildhouse which stands nearby is the only surviving one of its kind in Cornwall.

Poundstock is a rural parish on the north coast between Bude and Boscastle. Penfound Manor to the east, was given to Robert, Count de Mortain, by William the Conqueror. The Archbishop of Canterbury came to the parish in 1282, after the Rector of Morwenstow had seized the church and installed his own man as incumbent. No sooner had the Archbishop departed than his candidate was evicted. In 1357, at a time of bitter rivalry amongst robbers and pirates in the area, the assistant curate, William Penfound, was hacked to death before the altar, and it is said that his ghost may still be seen. The last of the Penfounds died in the poorhouse in 1847. There is a tale of one Kate Penfound who attempted to elope with John Trebarfoot of Trebarfoot Manor. As she was leaving, her father intervened with his sword, and in the ensuing fight all three were killed.

The chief villages are the Churchtown, Tregole, and Treskinnick.


The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 467 entries.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of Poundstock is in the Stratton Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.

Description & Travel

Photographs of Poundstock are available.


OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Poundstock ecclesiastical parish:


Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.


  • Population in 1801 - 617 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 635 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 744 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 727 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 672 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 651 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 534 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 515 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 522 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 496 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 434 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 423 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 469 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 479 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 698 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 621 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 622 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 645 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 790 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 805 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 925 persons


The parish comprises 4798 acres of land, 2 acres of tidal water and 214 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page

Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI ( website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.