GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Probus

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Probus, (Cornish: Lannbroboes), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Ladock and St Stephen-in-Brannel, on the east by Grampound, Creed, and Cuby, on the south by Cornelly, Lamorran, and Merther, and on the west by St Clement's and St Erme. It is named after St Probus, to whom the church is dedicated and about whom nothing is known. The parish is directly north of Tregony, the village being on the A390 between Truro and St.Austell. A new by-pass has considerably reduced traffic on this road through the village. The church, constructed of Cornish granite, dominates the village. The 125ft tower is the highest in the county.

The parish is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, as follows:

The Canons of St Probus hold PROBUS. During his life, King Edward (the Confessor) held it. 1 h. and 1 v. of land. It never paid tax. Land for for 8 ploughs; 4½ ploughs there; 5 slaves, 3 villagers and 8 smallholders. Pasture, 20 acres, 20 cattle; 160 sheep. Value 40 shillings.

The Churchtown is a large village; the other main village is Tresillian, part of which lies outside this parish.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Probus has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Photographs of Probus are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Probus ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Places in Probus parish are listed on-line.

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Family names of Probus and Cornelly families which appear most frequently in the OPC's database are listed.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Probus (1740 - 1830) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

From 1951, the population figures include Cornelly.

  • Population in 1801 - 1013 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1163 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1353 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1350 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1586 persons, plus 81 in Probus Workhouse
  • Population in 1851 - 1433 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1448 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1296 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1273 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1225 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1207 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1259 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1214 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1100 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1097 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1244 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1427 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1320 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1820 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 2082 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 2299 persons

Return to top of page

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Probus are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 8084 acres of land, 12 acres of water and one acre of tidal water.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.