Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Quethiock

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Quethiock

The parish of Quethiock, (Cornish: Gwydhek), is pronounced "Gwithick"; anciently called Cruetheke, it is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by St Ive and St Mellion, on the east by Pillaton and the detached part of St Stephens called Howton, on the south by Landrake and St Germans, and on the west by Menheniot. It is named after the Old Cornish for a 'wooded place'. It is situated about 3 miles to the east of Liskeard and lies just to the east of the River Tiddy. On the north is the River Lynher. At Clapper Bridge there is an ancient bridge of three arches over the Lynher which connects this parish with Pillaton. There are many small woods and isolated farms in this undulating parish. The main industry is farming.

The villages are the Churchtown, Trehunest and Blunts; the last-named is somtimes called The Sun, the name of an inn which was once there.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Quethiock (HO107/133), Enumeration District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • It has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Quethiock (HO107/1900), Enumeration District 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Quethiock is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which it can be purchased.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Quethiock (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Quethiock (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Landrake (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Quethiock (RG12/1808), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Quethiock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3164 and was dedicated to Saint Hugo (Hugh) on the 14th April 1346. The structure consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south transept, and a north transeptal projection of about five feet called the Trecarne transept. The entrances are a south porch and a chancel door. The tower is a unique structure; it consists of three stages but the staircase only reaches the floor of the second stage on the south side where it terminates in a gable covered with slate. The belfry contains three bells, and the parapet is embattled.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel in the Churchtown, and a Bible Christian chapel at Blunts.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Quethiock are: C021871/2/3, E053021, M053021. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1573 - 1852.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1574 - 1984, Burials 1574 - 1884, Marriages 1574 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1853 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1739 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
  • Marriages. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1573 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1885 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Quethiock is in the St Germans Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

You can see pictures of Quethiock which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Quethiock ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Quethiock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Quethiock to another place.

History

Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line a webpage for the history of Quethiock parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX313647 (Lat/Lon: 50.457744, -4.378068), Quethiock which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Quethiock parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 587 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 585 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 684 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 692 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 656 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 777 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 718 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 661 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 485 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 445 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 430 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 403 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 336 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 388 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 372 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 317 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 331 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 395 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 425 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 429 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 443 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 4,551 acres of land and 11 acres of water.