The parish of Rame, (Cornish: Penn an Hordh), is in the extreme south-east of Cornwall, on a peninsula
to the west of Plymouth Sound. It is situated in the Deanery of East, and in
the southern division of the Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by the
parishes of St Johns and Maker, and on the east, south and west by the sea. The
church, situated on high ground, has long served as a navigational aid to
mariners. There is also a ruined chapel dedicated to St Michael and traces of
ancient defensive works. Polhawn Battery was a strong fortress on the southern
cliffs of the parish, effectively commanding Whitsand Bay and the surrounding
land approaches. There are four miles of sandy beach on the west coast of the headland, which in the past have witnessed many shipwrecks and are now sprinkled with shacks and bungalows.
was united with Maker parish in 1943 to form Maker-with-Rame
parish. Maker-with-Rame is now part of the Cornwall County Council.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Rev. Geoffrey Blanchard White - Maker with Rame (notes towards a Parish
History). (Typescripts in Plymouth Local Studies Library 972R 374 -
probably copies also in Truro). (Full of really good information with
trancripts of property deeds etc. which would be useful to family
The Cornwall Family History
have not yet published Monumental Inscriptions for this Parish.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Rame (HO107/135), Enumeration
District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Rame (HO107/1900), Enumeration
District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Rame is listed in Volume
8. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from
which it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Rame (RG9/1522), Enumeration
District 5e, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1871 Census of Rame is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The 1871 Census of Rame is also available from the Cornwall Family History
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Rame (RG11/2279), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Rame (RG12/1806), Enumeration
Districts 5 and 5 (Barracks), is available on-line from the Cornwall
Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX4249 and it is dedicated to St
The little chapel of St. Michael (now in ruins) on the summit
of Rame Head, was licensed for Mass in 1397, and is probably on the site of a
much earlier, Celtic, hermitage. Earl Ordulf, owner of vast estates in the West
Country and uncle of King Ethelred, gave Rame to Tavistock Abbey (which he had
founded) in AD 981. The church was dedicated to St. Germanus on 15th October
1259 and, again on 10th October 1321. St Germanus was the fighting German
bishop who is supposed to have landed in the neighbourhood when he came to
England to suppress the Pelagian heresy in about AD 400.
The church is
all built of rough slate. The first stone building was that consecrated in
1259. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, north transept and vestry. The
arcade consists of five low fourch-centred arches supported on monolith granite
pillars. The slender, unbuttressed tower with its broached spire (an unusual
feature in a Cornish church), the north wall, north aisle and the chancel are
all probably of this date, when the church was cruciform in shape. The south
transept went in a 15th century extension with a south aisle and arcade added
and some new windows. The south aisle wagon roof is original, and some pews
survive from the 16th century, with Devon-style tracery on the bends-ends.
There were restorations in 1848 and 1886, when slates replaced the
stone-shingled roof. The church still has no electricity, and is lit by
Cawsand was in Rame parish (while Kingsand was in Maker) and
the moves to establish a church nearer the people eventually led to the
building in Rame village of St. Andrew's Church in 1878. Since the two
parishes were united in 1943, St. Andrew's has continued to serve as the church in
- Non-Conformist. The united villages of Cawsand (which is in Cornwall) and
Kingsand (which is in Devon) contained a Wesleyan chapel and an Independant
Indices and transcripts of the Baptism, Marriage and Burial registers of
the Parish of Rame, 1653 - 1812 compiled by Rev. Geoffrey Blanchard White ,
MA. in Harris, G & F.L. (eds) Essays and Notes on the Rame Peninsula
1963. [This is a typescript of which bound copies were deposited in various
local libraries including Plymouth, Truro etc but most have vanished. One
survives in Torpoint Library. It includes essays on the Vallack family and
other wider material. It is a Carbon copy and needs copying onto disc
Indexes and Transcripts of the Baptisms and Deaths for the
parishes of Maker and Rame, 1813 -1843. Typed copies held in Mount
Edgcumbe House History Files. [Anon. but almost certainly by the Rev. White].
NB: there are no marriage records included here.
Specific information on extant Church Records for this parish is available as follows:
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Rame are: C053031, P022661. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1653 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1653 - 1812, Burials 1653 -
1812, Marriages 1653 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1619 - 1673, BTs 1619 - 1673, Non-Conformist records 1810 - 1837.
- Marriages 1675 to 1796 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- (See the on-line parish records for the Rame peninsular parishes).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1619 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of Rame is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Rame ecclesiastical parish:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the parish.
Apprenticeship Indentures for Rame (1812 - 1836) can be found in the Cornwall
- Rame parish was part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1819 to 1835) are available in the Cornwall
The population figures given below are mostly of Maker and Rame together unless stated
- Population in 1801 - 2595 persons (904 persons in Rame)
- Population in
1811 - 4656 persons (978 persons in Rame)
- Population in 1821 - 2603 persons
(807 persons in Rame)
- Population in 1831 - 2441 persons (896 persons in
- Population in 1841 - 2369 (800 persons in Rame)
- Population in 1851
- 2357 persons (741 persons in Rame)
- Population in 1861 - 3778 (792 persons
- Population in 1871 - 4067, (856 persons in Rame and 47 persons in
- Population in 1881 - 2082 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2193, including 865 persons in Rame
- Population in 1901 - 3052 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1919 persons
- Population in 1921 - 3309 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1378 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1408 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1441 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1145 persons
- Population in 1981 - 305 persons (Rame only)
- Population in 1991 - 360 persons (Rame only)
- Population in 2001 - 1071 persons (Maker-with-Rame)
- Population in 2011 - 1020 persons (Maker-with-Rame)
The Rame History Group aims to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula. The group meets every month in the Congregational Hall.
The parish comprises 1272 acres of land and 112 acres of foreshore.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.