The parish of St Andrew, (Cornish: Rysrudh Sen Androw), in Redruth was created in 1884 when the original parish of Redruth, based upon St Uny's church, was divided in two to serve a vastly increasing population.
The origin of the name Redruth is believed to be 'red ford', from the Cornish rys or rid meaning red, and rudh meaning ford. In the past the town of Redruth and its neighbour, Camborne, served the important areas of tin mining area in south-west Cornwall. There has been a long tradition of rivalry between the two towns. In the early days of mining Redruth thought it was a cut above Camborne, because it was the place where the better classes lived. Today Redruth is a small industrial and commercial centre that is by-passed by the A30 trunk road.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The 19th century parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6941 and is dedicated to St Andrew. It was consecrated on St Andrew's Day in 1884. It is built of elvan stone and was erected in 1883; it consists of a chancel, nave, transept and aisles. It has a tower with a spire. Further photographs of St Andrews Church are available.