The parish of Ruan Lanihorne, (Cornish: Lannrihorn), (Ruan-Lanyhorne, or Ruanlanihorne) is
situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by
the River Fal, which separates it from Cornelly, on the east by Veryan, on the
south by Philleigh, and on the west by Philleigh and the Fal, which here
separates it from Lamorran. 'Ruan' refers to St Ruan or Rumon, patron
saint of the local church. This
partially wooded and mainly agricultural parish is on the banks of the River
Fal, which connects to the sea via Carrick Roads and via river to Truro to the
north-west. The local lord of the manor built a castle here in medieval
times to guard the river crossing, but there is little trace of it remaining
In the 19th century silt was unloaded to make bricks at Trelonk
and a passenger ferry service to Truro existed for the population of the
Roseland peninsula. Today it is a quiet residential village. Besides the
Churchtown, the other villages are Ruan High Lanes and Treworga.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 336 entries.
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (HO107/148), Enumeration
District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (HO107/1909), Enumeration
District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Ruan Lanihorne is listed
in Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from
which it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG9/1553), Enumeration
Districts 7 and 8d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG11/2307), Enumeration
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Ruan Lanihorne (RG12/1827), Enumeration
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8942 and was dedicated to St
Rumon on 17th October 1321. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and
south transept. The arcade has six four-centred arches of porcelain stone. A
shield on the south cornice of the nave bears the words: Built 1321;
another on the north cornice: Restored 1866. The entrances are a south
porch and a north door; over the outer arch or the former is the date 1669. The
tower is of one stage and contains two bells.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan
Methodist chapel at Tregiswin, and a Bible Christian chapel at Treworga.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1608 - 1919, Burials 1608 - 1992,
Marriages 1608 - 1990, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1670, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812, BTs 1608 - 1670.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1608 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The baptisms of the St Mawes Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, taken from LDS film 2276204, images 1789-1989 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints) are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC. These records relate to the whole of the Roseland Peninsula including St Mawes, St Just in Roseland, St Anthony in Roseland, Gerrans, Portscatho, Philleigh, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- Transcription of the baptisms of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit 1838-1907, taken from LDS film 2276210 images 1913-2413 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints). These records relate to several parishes close to Mevagissey including Gorran, Veryan, St Ewe, St Austell, Gerrans, St Just-in-Roseland, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1685 to 1845 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published Baptisms of St Mawes Wesleyan Circuit 1838 - 1900 on CD. The Circuit covers St Mawes, St Just-in-Roseland, Gerrans, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne, Philleigh, and St Anthony.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Mevagissey, Gorran, Veryan, Gerrans, St Ewe, St Mewan, part of St Austell and Ruan Lanihorn.
- Banns. Banns 1755 to 1809 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1836, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1608 to 1836, and marriage transcriptions 1608 to 1911, for this parish are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1608 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Ruan Lanihorne has been in the Truro
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Ruan Lanihorne are available on-line.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for Ruan Lanihorne. The list discusses all
genealogy to do with
the town and parish. To join or leave a list, send an email to: email@example.com
with the single word 'subscribe' or unsubscribe (as appropriate) in the
text. The subscribing/unsubscribing (joining/leaving) process is entirely
automatic. It should be realised that there isn't any person involved in adding
or subtracting list members, so such messages should not be sent to the mailing
list itself; they will not be actioned.
Ruan Lanihorne parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 329 persons
- Population in 1811 - 328 persons
- Population in 1821 - 376 persons
- Population in 1831 - 424 persons
- Population in 1841 - 444 persons
- Population in 1851 - 410 persons
- Population in 1861 - 325 persons
- Population in 1871 - 360 persons
- Population in 1881 - 325 persons
- Population in 1891 - 301 persons
- Population in 1901 - 254 persons
- Population in 1911 - 248 persons
- Population in 1921 - 211 persons
- Population in 1931 - 210 persons
- Population in 1951 - 197 persons
- Population in 1961 - 242 persons
- Population in 1971 - 248 persons
- Population in 1981 - 255 persons
- Population in 1991 - 266 persons
- Population in 2001 - 250 persons
- Population in 2011 - 252 persons
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Ruan Lanihorne are available on-line.
The parish comprises 2228 acres of land.
Tax entries for Ruan Lanihorne (1660-1664) are available
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.