Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Ruan Minor

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Ruan Minor

The parish of Ruan Minor, (Cornish: Ruan Vyghan), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north by Ruan Major and the largest of the detached portions of Grade, on the east by the sea, on the south by Grade and Landewednack, and on the west by Mullion. Ruan Minor was a small parish on the south-west coast of Cornwall. (see also Ruan Major). It has a tiny church dedicated to St Rumon. The main population is centred on the coastal village of Cadgwith; other villages are Treal and Ruan Vean.

In 1934, the parish united with the parishes of Ruan Major and Grade, to form the single civil parish of Ruan-Grade.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 520 entries.

Census

Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of Ruan Minor (HO107/138), Enumeration District 16, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Ruan Minor (HO107/1913), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Ruan Minor is listed in Volume 32. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Ruan Minor (RG9/1573), Enumeration District 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Ruan Minor (RG10/2306), Enumeration District 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Ruan Minor, (RG11/2325), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Ruan Minor (RG12/1841), Enumeration District 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ruan Minor area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7215 and was dedicated to St Rumon (Rumonous). The church was restored in 1854/5. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north aisle. The arcade consists of four pointed arches, supported on low, massive piers, without bases, and with unique capitals. The entrace is a small porch. The tower is of one stage only; it has a slightly projecting embattled parapet, and is finished with a pyramidal roof. The belfrey, to which access is by ladder, contained three bells.
  • Non-Conformist. There were chapels in the parish for Wesleyan Methodists, Association Methodists and Bible Christians.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Ruan Minor are: C021971/2, C053051, M021972. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1608 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1654 - 1882, Burials 1653 - 1980, Marriages 1653 - 1984, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1608 to 1800, and 1705 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1705 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1625 to 1836, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf formats.
    • Phillimore's marriages 1667 to 1812, and parish marriages 1667 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Parish Registers Index contains Marriages 1667 to 1836 for this parish. The index is searcheable by surname.
  • Burials.

Civil Registration

The parish of Grade-Ruan was originally in the Helston Registration District as Grade, Ruan Major and Ruan Minor; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.

The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Ruan Minor which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Strays. Persons living in a parish but born elsewhere are known as "Strays". Strays found in Ruan Minor in the 1861 Census are available on-line.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Ruan Minor ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Ruan Minor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ruan Minor to another place.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW721152 (Lat/Lon: 49.993238, -5.181156), Ruan Minor which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Ruan Minor parish was part of the Helston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1789 to 1824) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

Grade - Ruan parish was formed 1934 from an amalgamation of Ruan Major, Ruan Minor and Grade. Between 1891 and 1931, population figures were recorded under Ruan Major. After 1931, population figures are given under Grade.

  • Population in 1801 - 317 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 274 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 293 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 269 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 302 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 288 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 260 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 286 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 272 persons

Statistics

The parish comprised 704 acres of land.