Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Sheviock

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Sheviock

Sheviock, (Cornish: Seviek), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is a coastal parish south of St Germans on the west bank of the Lynher River, exposed to the prevailing south-westerly winds. It is bounded on the north by St Germans Creek, on the east by Antony, on the south by Whitesand Bay, and on the west by St Germans. The chief villages of the parish are: the Churchtown (Sheviock), Crafthole and Port Wrinkle (Trewrinkle). The tiny harbour of Port Wrinkle was once an important fishing centre. Today the area is popular for holidays.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 703 entries.

Census

Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Sheviock (HO107/135), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Sheviock (HO107/1900), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Sheviock is listed in Volume 8. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Sheviock (RG9/1524), Enumeration District 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Sheviock (RG10/2230), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Sheviock (RG11/2281), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Sheviock (RG12/1807), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sheviock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3755 and was supposidly dedicated to St Peter & St Paul on 13th October 1259. Now it is dedicated to St Mary.
    It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept. A north transept was removed to make way for a perpendicular aisle. The chancel was restored in 1851 in memory of the then late rector. The church was restored again in 1871. The arcade has six pointed arches; the dressings throughout are of Caen stone. There is a tower which possesses a spire, and which had been shortened during repair.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1867, at Crofthole. This chapel had a school attached.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Sheviock are: E001891, M001891/2, P001891/2. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1570 - 1871.
  • CRO Records. The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1624 - 1871, Burials 1569 - 1890, Marriages 1570 - 1840, Boyd's Marriage Index 1570 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
  • CFHS Records. The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Documentary Records. Documentary evidence may be available from public libraries: Jewers, Arthur J. Part of the Sheviock Parish Register. Notes & Gleanings vol. V, 53-54 (1892) pp.57-78. [Extensive transcript of early PRs many of which were already in very poor condition: baptisms 1624 to 1666, marriages 1570 to 1670, burials 1569 to 1654].
  • Specific Records. The following specific records have been identified:
    • Baptisms.
      • Baptisms 1624 to 1871 (with gaps in early years) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
      • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1850 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
    • Banns. Banns 1824 to 1905 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Marriages.
      • Phillimore marriages 1570 to 1811, and marriage transcriptions 1570 to 1840, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
      • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1570 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf formats.
    • Burials.
      • Burials 1589 to 1890 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
      • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Sheviock is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Sheviock which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

  • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Sheviock ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Sheviock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX370551 (Lat/Lon: 50.373090, -4.293663), Sheviock which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Sheviock (1794 - 1834) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Sheviock parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1744 to 1837), and Settlement Papers (1791 to 1828), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 409 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 428 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 491 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 453 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 567 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 573 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 671 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 559 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 562 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 493 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 480 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 516 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 529 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 475 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 527 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 465 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 502 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 675 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 792 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 683 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 679 persons

Statistics

The parish comprised 2433 acres of land, one acre of water, 39 acres of tidal water and 200 acres of foreshore.