GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby Places

St Agnes

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish, (Cornish: Breanek), is named after after Saint Agnes; it is in the Hundred and Deanery of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by the Bristol Channel and Perranzabuloe, on the east by Kenwyn and Kea, on the south by Gwennap and Redruth, and on the west by Illogan. The town is just inland from the North coast and lies to the North of Redruth, it is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. St Agnes Parish is one of the great mining districts in Cornwall abounding in tin and copper; it is now in the Carrick district and is situated near the North Coast to the North West of Truro. The Earl of Cornwall once had a manor at Tywarnhayle.

Villages in the parish include the Churchtown, Trevaunance Cove, Towan Cross, Mithian and Mingoose. The town of Perranporth is to the North East of the parish. The area is mainly farmland but this was a main tin mining area in the past. The northern boundary of the parish is the rugged Northern coastline of Cornwall. St Agnes Beacon is a raised area of land which was chosen as one of the principal western stations of the Ordnance Survey. The parish is scant of trees. In 1632 an attempt was made to form harbour at Trevaunance (now called Trevaunance Quay), and after repeated failures the effort was resumed in 1710 by the Tonkin family, who were so far successful that this work remained nearly a century, when some portions having become decayed, a new pier of moor-stone was erected in 1794 by a company at a cost of 10,000. The habour was washed away some years later.

Blackwater is a village 3 miles south-east, in the ecclesiastical parish of Mithian which is on the road between Redruth and St Columb. Goonbell, with a "halt" on the Perranporth and Newquay rail motor car branch of the Great Western railway, is also a place in this parish. The new parish of Mount Hawke, was created from part of parish 1847; it is located in the West of the older St Agnes parish.

Further information on St Agnes is available.

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Agnes has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Up to 1971, population figures include Mount Hawke; from 1981, the figures for this parish were counted separately.

  • Population in 1801 - 4161 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 5024 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 5762 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 6642 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 7757 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 6673 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 6550 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 6164 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2585 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 4249 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 4291 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 3886 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 3347 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 3379 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 4025 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 4221 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 4747 persons
  • Population in St Agnes parish in 1981 - 5590 persons
  • Population in St Agnes village in 1981 - 2790 persons
  • Population in St Agnes parish in 1991 - 6680 persons
  • Population in St Agnes village in 1991 - 3165 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 7257 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 7595 persons

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Statistics

St Agnes comprises 8438 acres of land and 4 acres of water. Mount Hawke was created from part of parish 1847.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 10th March 2014 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.