GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Anthony-in-Meneage

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

St Anthony-in-Meneage, (Cornish: Lannentenin), has also been called St Anthony-in-Kerrier. It is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier, near to the mouth of the Helford River, overlooking Gillan Harbour. It is bounded on the north by the Helford harbour, on the east by the sea, on the south by St Keverne, and on the west by Manaccan. The celtic name is 'Lanyntenyn' suggesting the dedication to St Anthony. Meneage means "Monkish Land", given to the land north east of the Lizard peninsula, including the parishes of St Anthony, Manaccan, St Keverne, St Martin and part of Mawgan. There is evidence to show long before the Conquest the district was possessed by an ill-assorted confederacy of small monasteries founded perhaps from Brittany. Tradition speaks of a cell of monks adjacent to Lantenning but the place was only a grange (or farm) of the monks of Tywardreath who became impropriators of the Rectory soon after the Conquest. The parish is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.

St Anthony Church is beautifully situated on the Dennis promontory and close to the waters of Gillan Creek. The Dennis (Cornish: Dinas) was an early celtic fortress and doubtless the church grew up beneath its patronage. During the English Civil War the Royalists of the neighbourhood constructed a small fort on the Dinas. It was surrendered to Sir Thomas Fairfax in March 1646, being the last place in Cornwall that held out, except for St Michael's Mount and Pendennis Castle.

The area of the parish is mainly farmland with a number of small villages and hamlets.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for Parish Church - 289 entries.

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Anthony-in-Meneage was originally in the Helston Registration District; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.

The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Anthony-in-Meneage ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Anthony-in-Meneage (1769 - 1831) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 261 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 224 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 330 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 300 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 313 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 292 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 252 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 239 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 217 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 159 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 173 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 196 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 176 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 207 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 254 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 260 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 221 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 180 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 195 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 171 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 178 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 1421 acres of land, 171 acres of tidal water 66 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.