St Blazey, (Cornish: Lanndreth), or St Blaise, is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the south and south-west by St Austell, on the north by Luxulyan, and on the
east it is separated from Tywardreath by the River Par. The parish is named
after Saint Blaise, and had been known as Landrayth until the 16th Century;
various spellings of Landrayth such as Landrait may be found. The village lies
on the main road to the east of St Austell. It is on the eastern edge of the
china clay workings around St Austell and the village probably owes its
existence to the industry. It is now a satellite village for workers from St
Austell, and is closely linked to St Blazey Gate, which is that part of
the parish on the western side towards St Austell. The parish is hilly with
some woodland on the valley edges. The parish of Biscovey (Par) was formed out
of St Blazey in 1847.
The History of St
Blazey parish is separately available.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall FHS offers a census search
service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Blazey (HO107/146), (Enumeration
Districts 14 to 18), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project - COCP.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Blazey (HO107/1906) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Blazey (RG9/1546) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Blazey (RG10/2260), Enumeration
Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Blazey (RG11/2300), Enumeration
Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Blazey (RG12/1821), Enumeration
Districts 13 to 17. is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0654 and was dedicated to St Blaise in 1440. It is situated
on an eminence, near the south end of the town. The church is a building of
granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays,
north and south aisles with the addition of a large school gallery at the west
end. It has an embattled tower containing 3 bells, dated 1693, 1740, and 1771.
The effigy of St. Blaize is in the chancel window in painted glass, preserved
from the former church, and the festival of the Saint is still duly observed on
Candlemass Day, (February 3rd); there is a good monument and a fine stained
window to the Carlyons of Tregrehan. A monument to Henry Scobell, esq,. of
Roselyon, who was the first treasurer and paymaster of the farm tin to Queen
Anne, and to Anne, his wife, was erected in 1729; there is also an important
genealogical inscription of great length to the Carlyon family; several of the
windows are memorials. The church was thoroughly restored in 1839, under the
direction of Messrs. Scott and Moffatt.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
There is a separate Anglican church at St Blazey Gate. The parish is now part of the Team Ministry of St Blazey with Par, and there is a parish website available.
- Non-Conformist. There were Chapels for the Wesleyans, Free-Methodists, Primitive Methodists and Bible Christians, in the parish, as well as Leekseed Methodist Chapel, built in 1824.
- LDS Church Records.
- The register of baptisms dates from the year 1675; marriages and burials,
The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1710 - 1970, Burials 1710 - 1945,
Marriages 1710 - 1968, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1673, BTs 1608 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1688 to 1805 (Bishop's Transcripts) are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has produced a list of baptisms at St Blaise church 1710 to 1837.
- Some births/baptisms
from St Blazey parish are available on-line.
- The Parish Chest have published, on CD, baptisms 1710 to 1843 for this parish.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published, on CD, baptisms 1710 to 1843 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1874 to 1900) of the St Austell Primitive Methodist Circuit. Areas include: St Austell, St Blazey, St Winnow, Par, Polgooth, Tywardreath, Roche and Holmbush.
The parish of St Blazey has been in the Registration
District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have
now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Some photographs
of St Blazey are available on-line.
Wesley Johnston has produced a resource of St Blazey families. This resource contains some 795 families, and includes:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where she can by contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical
website for the parish.
- All baptisms in the register (the baptism register covers 3 Jan 1813 - 1 Dec 1829, plus three from 14 Feb 1836).
- All marriages in the register (the marriage register covers 12 Apr 1813 - 25 Oct 1834, plus one from 1836 and one from 1837).
The marriages have revealed several same-name couples, for whom he has undertaken a lot of extra work to make sure that they are as correct as he can make them:
- BORLASE, Sampson and Elizabeth - both with daughters Elizabeth born 1835.
- CORNELIUS, John and Mary.
- ROBINS, Thomas with daughter,Jane.
- STEPHENS, William and Elizabeth.
- Burials for 1813-1821 (the burial register covers 14 Jul 1813 - 23 Nov 1839) - WORK STILL IN PROGRESS.
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Blazey (1784 to 1821 and 1882 to 1887) can
be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- St Blazey parish was part of the St
Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Accounts (1765 to 1831, 1867 to 1869, 1745 to 1788) and Bastardy Bonds (1769,
1889) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
The parish of Par was formed partially from this parish in 1847.
- Population in 1801 - 467 persons
- Population in 1811 - 442 persons
- Population in 1821 - 938 persons
- Population in 1831 - 2155 persons
- Population in 1841 - 3234 persons
- Population in 1851 - 3570 persons
- Population in 1861 - 4175 persons
- Population in 1871 - 3150
persons, plus 116 on shipping
- Population in 1881 - 1733 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2705 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2931 persons
- Population in 1911 - 3086 persons
- Population in 1921 - 3146 persons
- Population in 1931 - 3267 persons
- Population in 1951 - 3357 persons
- Population in 1961 - 3707 persons
- Population in 1971 - 4608 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2115 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2335 persons
- Population in 2001 - 6632 persons (St Blaise)
- Population in 2011 - 6799 persons
The parish comprises 1792 acres of land, 2 acres of tidal water and 6 acres
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.