GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Breock

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

St. Breock, or St. Breoke, (Cornish: Nanssans), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is a parish bounded on the north by the River Camel which separates it from St Minver and Egloshayle; on the east by the same river and its tributary Ruthern river, from Egloshayle and Bodmin; on the south it is bounded by Withiel and St Wenn, and on the west by St Issey. It is located 7 miles northwest from Bodmin and a mile from Wadebridge railway station. The parish is named after its patron, St Briocus and was often referred to as Pawton after the manor of which it formed part. At the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086, Pawton belonged to the Bishops of Exeter.

St Breock is connected to Egloshayle by a bridge built in 1485 by Thomas Loveybound, the Vicar of Egloshayle. This bridge replaced an earlier ford, which at times was vey dangerous. The bridge is still in use; it is 320 feet long and crosses the Camel on 15 arches.

Towards the end of the 19th century the town of Wadebridge was growing fast, and was straddling two Parishes, namely St Breock and Egloshayle, which was causing some problems with regards to the day-to-day running of the Town's affairs. In 1898, the two parishes united to form the Wadebridge Urban Council, which continued in existence until 1934.

Villages in the parish are Burlorne-Eglos, Hay, Penhale, Tredrusson, Trelill, and Trevanson.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Breock was originally in the St Columb Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn East, Padstow and St Columb Major. It is now in the Bodmin Registration District. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Breock ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Breock (1742 - 1834) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Part of parish was transferred to civil parish of Wadebridge in 1898. In the 2001 Census, St Breock was enumerated as part of Wadebridge.

  • Population in 1801 - 962 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 998 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1225 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1450 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1633 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1774 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1863 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1924 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1780 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 792 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 757 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 730 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 713 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 754 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 696 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 637 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 644 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 605 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 705 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 703 persons (6531 persons in Wadebridge)
  • Population in 2011 - 725 persons (6636 persons in Wadebridge)

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Breock are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Societies

The Wadebridge Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 4740 acres of land, 8 acres of water, 41 acres of tidal water and 200 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Voters Lists for St Breock, Polling District of Bodmin, are on-line as follows:

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Records/parishes/A-D/breock_st_voters_1853_54.php" Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.