St Breward, (Cornish: Havosti), commonly called Simonward, is situated in the Hundred of
Trigg and Deanery of Trigg Minor. It is bounded on the north by Advent and St
Clether, on the east by Altarnun, on the south by Blisland and St Mabyn, and on
the west by St Tudy and Michaelstow. The parish is named after St Breueredus.
The parish is often referred to as Simonward and this is possibly a corruption
of the saint's name.
The village of St Breward boasts the highest Church
in Cornwall at about 700ft above sea-level, and is well known for granite and
china clay quarries. Within the parish lie two of Cornwall's best known
landmarks: Roughtor and Brown Willy. St Breward is also famous for its granite.
It had three quarries: Tordown, Hantergantic and De Lank. Moorland Granite has
been used for centuries to build local houses and churches, and stone from the
De Lank Quarry was used for important and famous landmarks, such as the
Eddystone Lighthouse (1882), the Beachy Head Lighthouse (1900) and London's
Tower Bridge (1890). The river De Lank rises and passes through the parish; it
is a tributary of the river Camel.
The villages of the parish are the
Churchtown, Treswallock, and Higher and Lower Lank.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 446 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Breward (HO107/152), Enumeration
Districts 5 and 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1851 Census of St Breward (HO107/1898), Enumeration
Districts 7a and 7b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Breward is listed in
Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Breward (RG9/1516), Enumeration
District 5 and 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Breward (RG10/2220), Enumeration
Districts 5 and 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Breward (RG11/2273), Enumeration
Districts 5 and 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Breward (RG12/1800), Enumeration
District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0977 and was dedicated to St Brueredus in 1278,
although it is not clear by whom. By the middle of the 19th century, the church
had fallen into a considerable state of decay. In 1863 the church was re-roofed
and the walls rebuilt and replastered as necessary.
The church comprises
a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a north transept and a vestry. The
south arcade has five obtuse granite arches, supported on pillars of the same
material; the north arcade has five segmental arches supported on circular
piers with cushion capitals. This arcade is purely Norman, and one half of it
it constructed of Caen stone. The tower is of three stages, embattled with
stump crocketed pinnacles.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians both had chapels here.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Breward are: E017301, M017301, P017301. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1558 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1558 - 1917, Burials 1558 - 1893,
Marriages 1558 - 1850, Boyd's Marriage Index 1558 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1813 - 1937.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1558 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has published the following Church of England baptisms for St Breward on-line:
- The OPC has published the following Non-Conformist baptisms for St Breward on-line:
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Camelford United Methodist Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Boscastle, Tintagel, St Gennys, St Teath, St Kew, St Minver, St Mabyn, Michaelstow, St Endellion, Altarnun, St Breward, St Tudy, Advent, Lanteglos, Minster and Wadebridge.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1836 to 1900) of the Camelford Wesleyan Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Advent, St Teath, Lanteglos, St Breward, Wadebridge, Boscastle, Port Isaac, St Breock, St Minver, St Endellion and St Mabyn.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1869 to 1900) of the Michaelstow Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Michaelstow, Blisland, St Teath, Minster, Advent, Tintagel, St Breward, Forrabury, Lanteglos, St Endellion, Trevalga, St Neot, Temple, St Minver, Altarnun, Lesnewth, St Tudy, Davidstow, and Camelford.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, burials (1805 to 1900) of the Camelford Wesleyan Chapel. The area covers Camelford, Michaelstow, St Teath, Minster, Tintagel, St Juliot, Blisland, St Breward, Forrabury, Advent, Trevalga, St Kew, Lanteglos and St Endellion.
- The OPC has placed on-line marriages at St Breward:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1558 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1558 to 1812 (Phillimore's), and parish transcriptions 1813 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has placed on-line burials at St Breward:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1818 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1558 to 1911 are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of St
Breward is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and
Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- There is another website describing St Breward and its environs.
of St Breward are available on-line.
- A website describing
the parish is available.
- OPC Assistance.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the parish to assist researchers.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.
Lake&39;s Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, Vol 1, 1864 - St Breward is available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Breward ecclesiastical parish:
- The Land and Farm auctions of 1912 is available.
- The Land and Farm auctions of 1920 is available.
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this town; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
St Breward parish was part of the Camelford
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 513 persons
- Population in 1811 - 506 persons
- Population in 1821 - 554 persons
- Population in 1831 - 627 persons
- Population in 1841 - 724 persons
- Population in 1851 - 627 persons
- Population in 1861 - 705 persons
- Population in 1871 - 815 persons
- Population in 1881 - 728 persons
- Population in 1891 - 779 persons
- Population in 1901 - 863 persons
- Population in 1911 - 845 persons
- Population in 1921 - 862 persons
- Population in 1931 - 881 persons
- Population in 1951 - 809 persons
- Population in 1961 - 762 persons
- Population in 1971 - 776 persons
- Population in 1981 - 735 persons
- Population in 1991 - 885 persons
- Population in 2001 - 880 persons
- Population in 2011 - 886 persons
Wills/Indentures/Documents From the Malcolm Mc Carthy Collection and relating to St Breward, are available on-line.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1641 for St Breward are available on-line.
The parish comprises 9415 acres of land and 20 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.