We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Clement

St Clement, (Cornish: Morhesk), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by St Allen and St Erme, on the east by Probus, the detached portion of St Erme, and Tresillian Creek, which separates it from Merther and St Michael Penkivel, south by the Truro river which separates it from Kea and a part of Kenwyn, and on the West by the City of Truro (St Mary's parish), and part of Kenwyn. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Clement.

Under the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1984, the parish was divided into St Clement Urban and St Clement Rural; the Urban segment was incorporated into the City of Truro. Today, St Clement is little more than a suburb of that City.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 833 entries.
  • Separately, the Truro Municipal City Cemetery, appropriated in 1840, is located within this parish. The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for this municipal (Public) cemetery - 4096 entries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Clement area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8543 and was dedicated to St Clement on 8th October 1259. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade has six semi-circular arches of St Stephen's stone, supported on monolith pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a west door. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. It contains three bells. Over the entrance to the first landing of the tower are the initials F.K.I. with the date 1326.
    There were also Mission Churches at Buckshead and Malpass in this parish. Details about the plans of these churches are available on-line.
  • Non-Conformist. There is a chapel for the Bible Christians in the parish.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Clement are: C053101, C026411.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1543 - 1837; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1543 - 1939, Burials 1538 - 1978, Marriages 1539 - 1962, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1672, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1672.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1538 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Marriages 1538 to 1837 (Phillimore's) and 1538 to 1901 (parish transcripts), in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1681 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1707 to 1812, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Clement has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of St Clement are available on-line.
You can see pictures of St Clement which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Buryan ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which St Clement has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

  • The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW850430 (Lat/Lon: 50.247713, -5.017105), St Clement which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Clement (1778 - 1864) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • The Truro Union workhouse was located within this parish.
    St Clement parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1702 to 1734, 1796 to 1811 and 1823 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1752 to 1805) and Bastardy Bonds (1703 to 1804), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

In 1895, the parish of St Clement was divided into St Clement Urban and St Clement Rural; the Urban segment was incorporated into the City of Truro.

  • Population in 1801 - 1342 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1692 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 2306 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2885 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 3436 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 3465 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 3731 persons, plus 44 persons on shipping
  • Population in 1871 - 3575 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 3481 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 3983 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 4109 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 814 persons (Rural) (Includes inmates of the Workhouse)
  • Population in 1921 - 673 persons (Rural)
  • Population in 1931 - 758 persons (Rural)
  • Population in 1951 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1000 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1165 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1089 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1116 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 3306 acres of land, 27 acres of tidal water and 111 acres of foreshore.