St Clement, (Cornish: Morhesk), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded
on the north by St Allen and St Erme, on the east by Probus, the detached
portion of St Erme, and Tresillian Creek, which separates it from Merther and
St Michael Penkivel, south by the Truro river which separates it from Kea and
a part of Kenwyn, and on the West by the City of Truro (St Mary's parish), and
part of Kenwyn. The parish is named after its patron, Saint
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1984, the parish was divided into St Clement Urban and St Clement Rural; the Urban segment was incorporated into the City of Truro. Today, St Clement is little more than a suburb of that City.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 833
- Separately, the Truro Municipal City Cemetery, appropriated in
1840, is located within this parish. The Cornwall Family History Society have
published Monumental Inscriptions for this municipal (Public) cemetery - 4096
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Clement (HO107/147), Enumeration
Districts 6 to 11 and Workhouses,is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Clement (HO107/1910) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Clement is listed in
Volume 19. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Clement (RG9/1557) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Clement (RG10/2281), Enumeration
Districts 9 [Mother Church] to 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Clement, Truro, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Clement (RG12/1829) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8543 and was dedicated to St Clement on 8th October 1259. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade has six semi-circular arches of St Stephen's
stone, supported on monolith pillars of the same material. There is a south
porch and a west door. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with
battlements and pinnacles. It contains three bells. Over the entrance to the
first landing of the tower are the initials F.K.I. with the date
There were also Mission Churches at Buckshead and Malpass in this parish. Details about the plans of these churches are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There is a chapel for the Bible Christians in the parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Clement are: C053101, C026411.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1543 - 1837; it is NOT
believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International
Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1543 - 1939, Burials 1538 - 1978,
Marriages 1539 - 1962, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1672, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1672.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1538 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1538 to 1837 (Phillimore's) and 1538 to 1901 (parish transcripts), in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1681 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1707 to 1812, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of St Clement has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Clement are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Buryan ecclesiastical parish:
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Clement (1778 - 1864) can be found in the
Cornwall Record Office.
- The Truro Union workhouse was located within this parish.
parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1702 to
1734, 1796 to 1811 and 1823 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1752 to 1805) and
Bastardy Bonds (1703 to 1804), are available in the Cornwall
In 1895, the parish of St Clement was divided into St Clement Urban and St Clement Rural; the Urban segment was incorporated into the City of Truro.
- Population in 1801 - 1342 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1692 persons
- Population in 1821 - 2306 persons
- Population in 1831 - 2885 persons
- Population in 1841 - 3436 persons
- Population in 1851 - 3465 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3731 persons, plus 44 persons on
- Population in 1871 - 3575 persons
- Population in 1881 - 3481 persons
- Population in 1891 - 3983 persons
- Population in 1901 - 4109 persons
- Population in 1911 - 814 persons (Rural) (Includes inmates of the Workhouse)
- Population in 1921 - 673 persons (Rural)
- Population in 1931 - 758 persons (Rural)
- Population in 1951 - 0 persons
- Population in 1961 - 0 persons
- Population in 1971 - 0 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1000 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1165 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1089 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1116 persons
The parish comprises 3306 acres of land, 27 acres of tidal water and 111
acres of foreshore.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.