St Columb Minor
The parish of St Columb Minor, (Cornish: Sen Kolomm Vyghan), is in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is
bounded on the north by Mawgan-in-Pydar, on the east by St Columb Major and
Colan, on the south by Newlyn East, and on the west by the Bristol Channel. A
whole area of North Cornwall bears the name of St Columb; it is divided between
the parishes of St Columb Major and St Columb Minor. Until relatively recently
these were known as Higher and Lower St Columb. These parishes are both named
after their patron, Saint Columba. Another old name used for St Columb Minor
was Nether St Columb.
In 1960, the civil parish of St Columb was
subsumed by Newquay of which St Columb Minor is now a
suburb. Villages in this parish were: Trencreek, Chapel, Porth, Lane, Shop, Trenance and the
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
"St Columb Minor - Memories and Parish History" has been published by the St
Columb Minor Parish Map Project Committee, 2000. It is available from Quintdown
Press, Trevena House, 11 Trevena Terrace, Newquay, Cornwall TR7 1LJ.
- A cemetery of half an acre was formed in the parish in 1874 to supplement that in the parish churchyard.
- The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 908 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Columb Minor (HO107/149), Enumeration
Districts 7 to 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Columb Minor is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The 1871 Census of St Columb Minor (RG10/2256) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The 1871 Census of St Columb Minor is also available from the Cornwall Family History
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Columb Minor is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Columb Minor (RG12/1819) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8362 and is supposed to be dedicated
to St Columba, but there is no written record of this. Adjacent to the parish
is the larger parish of St Columb Major. It is not known whom St Columba was,
but some historians believe she may have been a French saint.
The site of the church is probably that of an Iron Age barrow where pagan
rites were celebrated and was originally circular in shape. The church is
sheltered from the strong Atlantic winds and looks down on the Rialton valley.
The first church was probably replaced more than once, until about 1100 when a
Norman Church was built. Its outline has been traced from the present chancel
step to about a metre from the belfry door. It had North and South walls
exactly where nave arches stand today. Part of these Norman foundations can be
seen around the pillars. It would have had small windows, perhaps with
trancepts and low arches leading to an apse.
About the middle of the
12th century, another church was erected in place of the Norman one. This had
aisles which terminated at the chancel. Nothing is known about the building of
this church, except in 1283 is was referred to as a chapelry to the College of
Crantock. By 1417 it had been reported that the chancel was in a ruinous state
and the whole church needed rebuilding. About 1430, the Nave arcades were
reconstructed. Two of the original pillars of Beer stone were left but the
other pillars are of Cornish granite. About 1470, the East walls of both
transepts were taken down and the aisles extended to the length of the chancel,
the side walls of the chancel being pierced with arcades.
church consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades are
of six arches each, the chancel arches being obtuse, and the nave arches are
pointed. The tower arch is plain; there is a north door, a south porch (within
it is the date 1669), and a priest's door. The Tower, which is the second
highest in Cornwall, is 115 feet in height and was built in the 15th Century;
originally it could have been seen from every point in the parish. It is
battlemented and finished with pinnacles.
The church has undergone two
major restorations: one in 1795 and again in 1884.
- Non-Conformist. There are chapels here for the Baptists, Wesleyans, Bible Christians and Primitive Methodists.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Columb Minor are: C023441/2/3, E023441, M023441. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1560 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1560 - 1960, Burials 1560 - 1957,
Marriages 1560 - 1950, Boyd's Marriage Index 1560 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1781 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1795 - 1837.
- Baptisms 1560 to 1817, and 1850 to 1911 (parish transcripts) and 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP). For Non-Conformist baptisms in St Columb Minor , see under St Columb Major.
- Cornwall Legacy have published Baptisms of St Agnes Wesleyan Circuit 1837 - 1900 on CD. The Circuit covers St Agnes, Perranzabuloe, Cubert, St Columb Minor, Newlyn East, Crantock and Mithian. Blackwater Chapel baptisms 1839-1900) and Mount Hawke Chapel baptisms 1850 - 1867 are included.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the Newlyn East Wesleyan Circuit. The Circuit covers Newlyn East, St Allen, Crantock, St Columb Minor, St Enoder, and Perranzabuloe.
- Banns. Banns 1754 to 1812 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1560 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages in the parish church 1560 to 1812 (Phillimore's), 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1560 to 1912 (parish transcripts), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages
of St Columb Minor 1560 to 1812 are also available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- Burials 1560 to 1911 (parish transcripts), and 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of St Columb Minor was originally in the St Columb Registration
District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major,
but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Registration
District of St Austell. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Columb Minor are available on-line.
of St Columb Minor are available.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Columb Minor ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Susan Old is undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.
- British-Genealogy have a mailing list for those wanting to discuss ancestry in St Columb Minor.
- St Columb Minor parish was part of the St
Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1729 to 1779) for this parish are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 999 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1126 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1297 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1406 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1681 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2250 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2025 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2305 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2744 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1165 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1268 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1290 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1361 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1728 persons
- Population in 1951 - 3586 persons
From 1960, the population figures were included in those for the civil
parish of Newquay.
The parish comprises 5779 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 12th March 2014 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.