The parish of St Dennis, (Cornish: Dinas), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on
the north by the parish of Roche, on the east by Roche and St
Stephen-in-Brannel, on the south by St Stephen-in-Brannel, and on the west by
St Enoder and St Columb Major. It is named after St Denys the Martyr, although
as the Church is on a hill top, the name may be a corruption of the Cornish
word Dinas, meaning 'Hill Fort'. Dimilioc represents a smaller
hillfort inland 20 miles south of Tintagel now occupied by the parish Church of
St Dennis - it is within an estate listed as Dimelihoc in the Doomsday Book of
1086. In the reign of Henry VIII, St Denys was the only parish in Cornwall with
the prefix 'Saint'.
The parish lies to the north-west of St Austell and is bounded to its
north-west by the River Fal and the countryside consists of a number of small
villages and hamlets. The main industry is china clay extraction in the south
of the parish and farming in the north; most of the farmland is pasture. There
is an area of moorland called Goss Moor to the north. The Churchtown was built
up for miners and comrises numerous cottages. The villages are Hendra,
Whitebait, Treleaver, and Ennis-Cavan.
The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 935 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW9558 and was dedicated to St
Dionisius (Dennis) before 1327. The church is a plain structure with few
ecclesiastical features. There is a south porch and a north door. The Normans
built a Church here at the end of the 11th century, but the present tower dates
from the 13th century. This tower is of two stages, and is finished with stump
pinnacles; it reaches a height 55 feet.
The church stands on a conical hill and appears to have been originally a
chantry chapel, and held by respective families of Cornwall: Hendowers or
Tregarthin's of Courtnin Brannell, who afterwards appropriated it, together
with the church of St Stephens-in-Brannel, to the rector of St Michael
- Non-Conformist. In the village of Whitebait was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel;
there was also a Brianite chapel near the church.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Dennis are: C022001. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1687 - 1875; it is NOT believed to
be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1687 - 1985, Burials 1687 - 1985,
Marriages 1687 - 1985, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms in the parish 1688 to 1899 are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1687 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD: baptisms (1839 to 1900) of the St Columb Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. Areas include: St Columb, Summercourt, Newquay, Padstow, St Stephens, St Enoder, St Dennis, St Issey, St Wenn and Colan.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD: baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Columb Bible Christian Circuit. Areas include: St Columb, St Dennis, St Stephens, St Enoder, Roche, St Mawgan, Ladock, Newquay, St Wenn, St Eval, St Merryn and Perranzabuloe.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers St Ervan, St Breock, St Wenn, St Issey, Padstow, Roche, St Dennis, St Columb, St Merryn, St Eval, St Enoder, Little Petherick, Egloshayle, Wadebridge, Mawgan-in-Pydar and Colan.
- Marriages in the parish 1610 to 1812 (Phillimore's), and 1813 to 1912 (parish transcripts), are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1610 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials in the parish 1681 to 1773 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1687 to 1912 (parish transcripts) are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burial records of individuals with a St. Stephen-In-Brannel connection, but who were buried in St. Dennis, has been provided on-line by the OPC for St. Dennis.
The parish of St Dennis has been in the Registration
District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have
now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Dennis are available on-line.
The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Dennis ecclesiastical parish:
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
St Dennis parish was part of the St
Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 318 persons
- Population in 1811 - 478 persons
- Population in 1821 - 592 persons
- Population in 1831 - 721 persons
- Population in 1841 - 828 persons
- Population in 1851 - 888 persons
- Population in 1861 - 993 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1064 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1235 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1302 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1632 persons
- Population in 1911 - 2030 persons
- Population in 1921 - 2158 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2359 persons
- Population in 1951 - 2534 persons
- Population in 1961 - 2121 persons
- Population in 1971 - 2180 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2015 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2249 persons
- Population in 2001 - 2696 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2810 persons
The St Denys & District Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.
The parish comprised 3231 acres of land and 9 acres of water.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.