Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Dominick

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Dominick

Although known over the centuries as St Dominick, the spelling of the parish name at the beginning of the 21st century, is changing to drop the final letter "K", so becoming St Dominic.


The parish of St Dominic is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Calstock, on the east by the River Tamar which separates it from the Devon parish of Beer Ferrers, on the south by Pillaton and St Mellion, and on the west by Callington. The parish is named after St Dominicia, reputedly a female! It is located on the West bank of the River Tamar about 3 miles to the South East of Callington. There are numerous small hamlets and isolated buildings in the area. Halton Quay played an important part in the economy of the parish in the 19th & early 20th centuries when it was an important fruit growing area, and the Tamar River was the main route by which lime, sand and manure came in and fruit went down to Plymouth. As with much of the area, farming is the main industry.

Besides the Churchtown, the villages are: Cross, Burraton, Etheric (now Bohetheric), Halton Quay, and Ashton. There was a lot of good grazing land in this parish.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of St Dominick (HO107/133), Enumeration Districts 12 and 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of St Dominick (HO107/1901), Enumeration Districts 1a and 1b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of St Dominick (RG10/2233), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of St Dominick (RG11/2283), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of St Dominic (RG12/1809), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Dominick area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX39670 and was dedicated to St Dominicia on 19th October 1259. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has four semi-circular or obtuse arches, and one pointed; the north has five four-centred pointed arches. The material is granite and the pillars are chiefly monolith. The entrances are a north door, a priest's door, and a south porch. The tower, which is buttressed at the angles, is of three stages; the third stage projects twelve inches on every side and rests on a corbelled table. This arrangement gives a larger bell-chamber. Below the embattled parapet are rude figures of the apostles, and the pinnacles have curious floriated tops. The tower contains six bells. A major restoration of the medieval church took place in the mid-19th century and was reopened on 2nd February 1871.
  • Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians had a chapel in the Churchtown, an the Wesleyan Methodists had a place of worship at Hay. The first chapel was built about 1828 on the Halton Quay road near Haye Farm and was used until about 1868 when a new chapel was built at Towell, between St Dominic and Bohetherick. This Wesleyan chapel gradually increased its capacity until it could seat 220 persons; a schoolroom was added in 1870. This chapel was closed in 1991 and demolished in 1992. There is a chapel that was originally opened by the Bible Christians in St Dominic village in 1898, it is still used for worship to this day. None of these chapels had a burial ground.

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of St Dominick was originally in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington (which looked after St Dominick), Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. The parish is now in the St Germans Registration District. However, when Callington was closed and St Dominick came under St Germans, the Callington registers were split and the birth and death registers went to Liskeard and the marriage registers to St Germans.

The parishes of the Liskeard district were: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland, West Looe.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Some pictures of St Dominick are available on-line.
You can see pictures of St Dominick which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • The OPC for St Dominick has developed a genealogical website for the parish.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Dominick ecclesiastical parish:

  • Ashton (Aissetona, Aissetone), Grid Reference 385683.
  • Halton (Haltona, Haltone), Grid Reference 410656.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Dominick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line a webpage for the history of St Dominick parish.

Land and Property

Transcription Of An Auctioneer's Catalogue For Various Properties On Landulph And St Dominic Offered For Sale In 1831.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX399678 (Lat/Lon: 50.488014, -4.258339), St Dominick which are provided by:

Newspapers

  • Newspaper articles concerning St Dominick can be found on line, courtesy of the OPC.

Occupations

  • Apprenticeship Indentures can be found on line, courtesy of the OPC.
  • Apprenticeship Indentures for St Dominick (1779 - 1830) can be also found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • St Dominick parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Bastardy Bonds can be found on line, courtesy of the OPC.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1762 to 1835), Settlement Papers (1790 to 1844) and Bastardy Bonds (1791 to 1835) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 538 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 534 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 690 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 726 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 825 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 862 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 862 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 850 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 826 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 781 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 746 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 728 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 697 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 670 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 675 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 588 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 627 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 785 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 845 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 833 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 774 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 3181 acres of land, one acre of water, 43 acres of tidal water and 22 acres of foreshore.