GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  UpDevon Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Dominic(k)

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Although known over the centuries as St Dominick, the spelling of the parish name at the beginning of the 21st century, is changing to drop the final letter "K", so becoming St Dominic.

The parish of St Dominic is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Calstock, on the east by the River Tamar which separates it from the Devon parish of Beer Ferrers, on the south by Pillaton and St Mellion, and on the west by Callington. The parish is named after St Dominicia, reputedly a female! It is located on the West bank of the River Tamar about 3 miles to the South East of Callington. There are numerous small hamlets and isolated buildings in the area. Halton Quay played an important part in the economy of the parish in the 19th & early 20th centuries when it was an important fruit growing area, and the Tamar River was the main route by which lime, sand and manure came in and fruit went down to Plymouth. As with much of the area, farming is the main industry.

Besides the Churchtown, the villages are: Cross, Burraton, Etheric (now Bohetheric), Halton Quay, and Ashton. There was a lot of good grazing land in this parish.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Dominick was originally in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington (which looked after St Dominick), Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. The parish is now in the St Germans Registration District. However, when Callington was closed and St Dominick came under St Germans, the Callington registers were split and the birth and death registers went to Liskeard and the marriage registers to St Germans.

The parishes of the Liskeard district were: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland, West Looe.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Dominick ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

History

>Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line a webpage for the history of St Dominick parish.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Transcription Of An Auctioneer's Catalogue For Various Properties On Landulph And St Dominic Offered For Sale In 1831.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 538 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 534 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 690 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 726 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 825 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 862 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 862 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 850 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 826 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 781 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 746 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 728 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 697 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 670 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 675 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 588 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 627 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 785 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 845 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 833 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 774 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 3181 acres of land, one acre of water, 43 acres of tidal water and 22 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.