GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Enoder

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Enoder, (Cornish: Eglosenoder), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Columb Major, on the east by St Dennis and St Stephen-in-Brannel, on the south by Ladock, and on the west by St Newlyn East and Colan.

Standing on the site of St Enoder Church over 2000 years ago, early man would have looked down on wooded slopes and shallow lakes. Millions of fresh water shells have been dredged up at Penhale showing these lakes to have existed for thousands of years before the first human beings even came to the area. St Enoder parish is south of St Columb Major and Newquay, but nothing is known about the saint to whom the local church is dedicated. At a busy road junction near the A30 is the village of Summercourt, which has one of the longest established fairs in the country. In the past this was an important venue where sheep, cattle and horses were bought and sold.

The once bustling village of St Enoder Churchtown no longer exists. All the smaller houses have long since become ruins and disappeared. Only the more substantial of the foundations are left and these form boundaries of fields and have become Cornish hedges. The once 'Nelson Arms' public house still stands but is now a private house. Glebe Farm, built from the stone of a row of arms houses adjacent to Narrow Lane years ago, is still a working farm and the old back part of the Rectory has been pulled down and the house made more compact. The rubble from the old building was carried and dumped in the field below the Church. The recent development of the area has not helped the development of the village. First, St Enoder was by-passed by a new road and then Summercourt was developed. Now the new A30 runs between the two. The new roads have cut across ancient pathways and St Enoder Church appears marooned and separated from its people. But the old building still has the ability to draw people to it. For centuries men, women and children have been coming to this site and now once again they are making the journey and are finding peace and comfort within the walls of this lovely old building. The manor and borough of Mitchell is partially in this parish. From 1552 until the Reform Act of 1832, Mitchell sent two members to Parliament. In 1592, Sir Walter Raleigh was an MP for the borough, and Richard Carew, the noted Cornish historian, was MP in 1620.

Besides the Churchtown, the principal villages are Fraddon, Penhale, Summercourt, St. Columb Road, Indian Queens, and Trevarren.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Enoder was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Registration District of St Austell. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Enoder ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

History

A detailed history of St Enoder is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Manors

The Manorial Documents Register (MDR) notes that St Enoder parish included the manors of: Arrallas (or Argallez), Burthy, Carvinack, Fraddon, Mitchell, Penhale and Trewynian. It is not possible to list in detail the surviving records for each of these manors; however, a brief indication of the locations can be given. Records relating to Arrallas, Carvinack, Penhale, Mitchell and Trewynian can be found in Cornwall Record Office, Old County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY (Email: CRO@cornwall.gov.uk). There are extensive collections for Arrallas, Mitchell and Penhale.

Further records for Arrallas are in the Duchy of Cornwall Office, 10 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6LA, and additional Penhale Manor records are at the British Library, Manuscript Collections, 96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB (Email: mss@bl.uk). Fraddon Manor records are also in the British Library, Manuscript Collections. The staff at these repositories can advise further. No records are noted for Burthy Manor.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 869 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 881 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 833 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1124 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1127 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1153 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1151 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1122 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1120 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1114 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1169 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1412 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1074 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1090 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1220 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1129 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1028 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 2865 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 2975 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 3819 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 4391 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Some St Enoder Will transcripts are on-line.

Return to top of page

Religion and Religious Life

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 6920 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Taxation

The Hearth Tax of 1664 for St Enoder parish has been published by the OPC.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.