St Erme, (Cornish: Egloserm), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on
the north by Newlyn East, on the east by Ladock and Probus, on the south by St
Clement, and on the west by St Allen. A detached portion of the parish,
comprising the Manor of Polsue, is bounded by the parishes of Probus and St
Clement, and St Clement's Creek. The parish is named after St Hermes, a 3rd
century Roman martyr. In was in this parish, at Tresillian Bridge, that a
treaty was concluded in March 1646 between Sir Ralph Hopton and Sir Thomas
Fairfax, by which Cornwall was surrendered to Parliament at the end of the
English Civil War.
This parish is four miles north of Truro, sandwiched
between the parishes of St Allen and Ladock. The main village is St Erme with
Trispen, which is actually composed of two
neigbouring villages, St Erme and Trispen. At one time St Erme had the church,
school and village hall while Trispen had the pub, post office, and chapel.
Agriculture no longer provides the main employment and the area has become a
dormitory area for Truro.
Villages in this parish are the Churchtowns,
Trispen (or Trevispen), and Stairfoot.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 366 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Erme (HO107/147), Enumeration
Districts 14 and 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Erme (HO107/1910), Enumeration
Districts 2a and 2b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from
which they can be purchased.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Erme is listed in
- Ray Woodbine has compiled the 1851 Census for many Cornish parishes.
Entries for St Erme are contained in Volume 14-1.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Erme (RG9/1557), Enumeration
Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1881. The 1881 Census of the UK can be searched on-line courtesy of familySearch.org.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Erme (RG12/1829),
Districts 3 and 4, is available from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8449 and was dedicated to St Hermes. It consists
of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and north and south transepts. The
chancel and nave are wide, and the aisles are narrow; this arrangement was made
for the purpose of covering the whole with one roof. The arcades each have six
elliptical arches of St Stephen porcelain stone, supported on pillars of the
same material. The chief entrances to the church is through the tower, besides
which there are a priest's door and vestry door. The tower is of three
stages, buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and crocketed
pinnacles; it contains five bells.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Trispen.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Erme are: P020281. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1671 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be
fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index
- The Cornwall
Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1671 - 1874, Burials 1671 - 1917,
Marriages 1671 - 1967, Boyd's Marriage Index 1614 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published transcripts on-line of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1813 to 1850 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages 1614 to 1808, and Phillimore's marriages 1614 to 1812, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1813 to 1849 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of St Erme has been in the Truro
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Erme are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Erme ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Erme (1766 - 1819) can be found in the Cornwall
- St Erme parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1674 to
1837), Settlement Papers (1739 to 1842) and Bastardy Bonds (1727 to 1826), are
available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 358 persons
- Population in 1811 - 431 persons
- Population in 1821 - 561 persons
- Population in 1831 - 586 persons
- Population in 1841 - 552 persons
- Population in 1851 - 625 persons
- Population in 1861 - 554 persons
- Population in 1871 - 560 persons
- Population in 1881 - 507 persons
- Population in 1891 - 462 persons
- Population in 1901 - 494 persons
- Population in 1911 - 365 persons
- Population in 1921 - 378 persons
- Population in 1931 - 373 persons
- Population in 1951 - 715 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1205 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1220 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1210 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1255 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1215 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1363 persons
The parish comprises 4256 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.