Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Erney

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Erney

The parish of St Erney, (Cornish: Sen Erni), has always been closely associated with Landrake. It is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Landrake, on the east by the estuary of the River Lynher which separates it from the parish of St Stephen-by-Saltash, and on the south west by St German's Creek and the River Tidi which separates it from the parishes of Sheviock and St Germans. St Erney was the mother Church of Landrake, although it has since become suborinate to it, and - for civil purposes - is often merged under the name of that parish as "Landrake-with-St Erney".

St Erney is a small village and parish in south-east Cornwall four miles to the west of Plymouth. The village of Markwell, within the parish, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Tiddy, opposite the town of St Germans.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 263 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/135), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/1900), Enumeration Districts 1 & 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Erney is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of St Erney (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of St Erney (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG12/1808), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Erney area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3759 and was dedicated to St Terminus. The church is said to have been built by the Dawneys of Trelugan; it dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The church comprises a chancel, nave and north aisle. The arcade consists of four four-centred arches of fine granite supported on monolith pillars of the same material. There are north and south doors, but no porch. The tower is of two stages, finishing with battlements and stump pinnacles; it contains three bells.
  • Non-Conformist. No Non-Conformist chapels are known in the parish. It is belived that the inhabitants used the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Landrake which were one and a half miles distant.

Church Records

Many church vital events relating to St Erney are recorded in the records of the parish of Landrake.

  • LDS Church Records
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Erney are: C053121, M053461. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage for this parish is 1555 - 1811.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1555 - 1811, Burials 1559 - 1812, Marriages 1555 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1555 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 -1812.
  • Baptisms. The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1650 to 1840 for the parish of Landrake & St Erney which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Marriages. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1555 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Erney is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of St Erney are available on-line.
You can see pictures of St Erney which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Erney ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which St Erney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Erney to another place.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX371591 (Lat/Lon: 50.409063, -4.293992), St Erney which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

St Erney parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

Population figures for this parish were invariably enumerated with Landrake parish.

  • Population in 1841 - 81 persons (St Erney only)
  • Population in 1851 - 79 persons (St Erney only)
  • Population in 1861 - 79 persons (St Erney only)
  • Population in 1871 - 759 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 759 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 686 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 632 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1049 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 610 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 616 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 715 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 611 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 644 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 800 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1070 persons (Landrake with St Erney)
  • Population in 2001 - 1001 persons (Landrake with St Erney)
  • Population in 2011 - 1082 persons (Landrake with St Erney)

In the 1991 census, this parish was enumerated as part of Landrake with St Erney, Botusfleming & Landulph Parishes.

Statistics

The parish comprises 844 acres of land.