The parish of St Erney, (Cornish: Sen Erni), has always been closely associated with Landrake. It is situated in the Deanery and
Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Landrake, on the east by the
estuary of the River Lynher which separates it from the parish of St
Stephen-by-Saltash, and on the south west by St German's Creek and the
River Tidi which separates it from the parishes of Sheviock and St Germans. St Erney
was the mother Church of Landrake, although it has since become suborinate to
it, and - for civil purposes - is often merged under the name of that parish as
St Erney is a small village and parish
in south-east Cornwall four miles to the west of Plymouth. The village of
Markwell, within the parish, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river
Tiddy, opposite the town of St Germans.
The Cornwall Family History Society
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 263 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/135), Enumeration
District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/1900), Enumeration
Districts 1 & 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Erney is listed in
Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Erney (RG9/1525), Enumeration
District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG10/2231), Enumeration
District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Erney (RG11/2282), Enumeration
District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG12/1808), Enumeration
Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3759 and was dedicated to St Terminus. The church is said to have been built by the Dawneys of Trelugan; it dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The church comprises a chancel, nave and north aisle. The arcade consists of four four-centred arches of fine granite supported on monolith pillars of the same material. There are north and south doors, but no porch. The tower is of two stages, finishing with battlements and stump pinnacles; it contains three
- Non-Conformist. No Non-Conformist chapels are known in the parish. It is belived that the inhabitants used the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Landrake which were one and a half miles distant.
Many church vital events relating to St Erney are recorded in the records of the parish of Landrake.
- LDS Church Records
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Erney are: C053121, M053461. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1555 - 1811.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1555 - 1811, Burials 1559 - 1812,
Marriages 1555 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1555 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 -1812.
- Baptisms. The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1650 to 1840 for the parish of Landrake & St Erney.
- Marriages. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1555 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of St Erney is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Erney are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Erney ecclesiastical parish:
St Erney parish was part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Population figures for this parish were invariably enumerated with Landrake parish.
- Population in 1841 - 81 persons (St Erney only)
- Population in 1851 - 79 persons (St Erney only)
- Population in 1861 - 79 persons (St Erney only)
- Population in 1871 - 759 persons
- Population in 1881 - 759 persons
- Population in 1891 - 686 persons
- Population in 1901 - 632 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1049 persons
- Population in 1921 - 610 persons
- Population in 1931 - 616 persons
- Population in 1951 - 715 persons
- Population in 1961 - 611 persons
- Population in 1971 - 644 persons
- Population in 1981 - 800 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1070 persons (Landrake with St Erney)
- Population in 2001 - 1001 persons (Landrake with St Erney)
- Population in 2011 - 1082 persons (Landrake with St Erney)
In the 1991 census, this parish was enumerated as part of Landrake with
St Erney, Botusfleming & Landulph Parishes.
The parish comprises 844 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.