The parish of St Erth, (Cornish: Lannudhno), is situated in
the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It was bounded on the north by Phillack, on
the east by Gwinear and Crowan, on the south by Breage and St Hilary, and on
the west by Ludgvan and Lelant. Little is known about St Ercius. from whom this
village gets its name. The River Hayle has its source in the parish of Crowan.
The parish of St Erth stretches about three miles south from the Hayle estuary
and has had a bridge over the river Hayle for at least six hundred years. The
railway station was formerly known as the St Ives Road Station and in 1877 this
section of railway had the last section of broad gauge track ever
The populous areas were the Churchtown with Lanuthnoe, Trelissick,
and Tredrea Lane.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Erth (HO107/144) (Enumeration
Districts 1 to 5), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Erth (HO107/1917), (Enumeration
Districts 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d and 1e), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851
Census of St Erth is available on-line. The New Zealand Society of
Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each
Cornish registration district; St Erth is
listed in Volume 24. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Erth is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Erth is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Erth is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The 1881 Census
of St Erth is also available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Erth (RG12/1853) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW5535 and was dedicated to St Ercius
(or Ercus), who was the first Bishop of Slane, in the county of Meath in
Ireland, and who died in A.D. 514. The church consists of a chancel, nave, and
north and south aisles. The arcades each have six obtuse arches. There is a
south porch, a north door, and a priest's door. The chancel wall was
rebuilt in 1742, and the church was repaired and replastered in 1747. The tower is of
three stages, surmounted with battlements and pinnacles. It is 54 feet in
height and contained three bells.
The church is mentioned in a
visitation in 1281 when it was reported that the chancel was ill-covered and
By 2008, the parish was part of Godrevy United Benefice. Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel in the
Churchtown, and at St Erth Praze; the Bible Christians also had a chapel in the
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1563 - 1918, Burials 1563 - 1906,
Marriages 1578 - 1980, Boyd's Marriage Index 1563 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1837 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1563 to 1912 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- wesleyan-Methodist baptisms at St Erth 1881 to 1900 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C- PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1700 to 1834 for this parish.
- Some St Erth baptism records 1563 to 1900 are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- Baptisms at St Erth 1813 to 1899 of those whose father or mother's abode is Phillack or Hayle are on-line courtesy of the OPC.
Solemnized in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel of St Erth 1881-1900 are also available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1845 to 1900) and Burials (1892 to 1900) of the Breage and Crowan Methodist Chapels, (including Black Rock, Horsedowns, Nancegollan, Praze, Townshend, Trenwheal chapels). Areas include: Breage, Crowan, Gwinear, Sithney, and St Erth.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Marazion Methodist Circuit and baptisms (1877 to 1900) of the Marazion Ebenezer Chapel. Areas include: Marazion, St Hilary, Ludgvan, Germoe, St Erth, Breage, Gulval, and Goldsithney.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1866 to 1900) of the Hayle Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. The area covers Hayle, Phillack, Breage, Crowan, Gwinear, St Erth and Gwithian.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Hayle Wesleyan Circuit (Wall Section). These include: baptisms (1862 to 1900), Wall Chapel marriages (1867-1884, 1899-1900, Connor Downs Chapel baptisms 1900. The areas covers Hayle, Phillack, Breage, Crowan, Ludgvan, Gwinear, Copperhouses, St Erth and Gwithian.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the St Ives Methodist Circuit. These comprise baptisms (1818 to 1900). The areas cover St Ives, Towednack, Lelant, Ludgvan, St Erth, Halestown and Zennor.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Lelant, Ludgvan and St Erth Chapels. These comprise baptisms (1855 to 1900) for Chyangwheal, Hayle Foundry, Ludgvan & St Erth Chapels (Ludgvan Chapel Register is called "Marazion Wesleyan Circuit from 1883". St Ives, Penzance, Towednack, Lelant, and Ludgvan). The areas cover Lelant, Breage, Crowan, St Erth, Hayle, Ludgvan, St Hilary, Germoe and Marazion.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1563 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1563 to 1907, and Phillimore's marriages 1563 to 1812, for this parish are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Some St Erth marriage records 1563 to 1960 are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- Marriages at St Erth 1701 to 1919 of those whose Bride or groom's abode is Phillack or Hayle are on-line courtesy of the OPC.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD format.
- Burials 1565 to 1937 for this parish are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Some St Erth burials 1565 to 1960 are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- Burials at St Erth 1813 to 1899 of those whose abode is Phillack or Hayle are on-line courtesy of the OPC.
The parish of St Erth has been in the Penzance
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives
and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Erth are available on-line.
- More Pictures
of St Erth are also available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Erth ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance.
Persons either born in St Erth and living elsewhere or living in St Erth but
born elsewhere, are known as "Strays". Strays
found in St Erth are available on-line.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC for St Erth has produced a genealogical
website for the parish.
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
Information about the St Ives, Zennor, St Erth Mines, is available on-line.
- St Erth parish was part of the Penzance
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 1122 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1317 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1604 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1922 persons
- Population in 1841 - 2452 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2457 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2558 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2317 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1995 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1507 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1308 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1210 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1145 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1085 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1066 persons
- Population in 1961 - 884 persons
- Population in 1971 - 916 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1025 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1135 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1384 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1374 persons
The Penwith Local History Group aims:
- In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Erth are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- An index to Clergy (by
name) of St.Erth is available, courtesy of the OPC.
- To encourage and sustain public interest in the history of Penwith to provide mutual support and encouragement to members in their individual research projects, whether related to Penwith or of wider historical interest.
- To work as a group on specific research projects, with the aim of publication to an academic standard.
- To encourage the strong link with the Morrab Library in Penzance, supporting the Library in its aims and activities.
The parish comprises 3792 acres of land, 13 acres of water, 27 acres of
tidal water and 80 acres of foreshore.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.