We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Ervan

The parish of St Ervan, (Cornish: Sen Erven), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Merryn and Padstow, on the east by St Petroc Minor (now known as Little Petherick) and St Columb Major, on the south by Mawgan in Pydar, and on the west by St Eval. The parish of St Ervan is located near the north coast of Cornwall, about three miles south-west of Padstow. The church, which is dedicated to an early Celtic saint, nestles on the side of a hill, the lane beyond plunging deeply down to end at a ford beside Millingworth Mill. When the mill was in use, St Ervan had an annual fair on 10th October; it ceased operating around 1850.

Besides the Churchtown, the villages in the parish are: Rumford and Penrose. The parish also contains the following farms: Trembleathe Barton, Trevengenow, Trewinnick, Treravel, Trenouth, Bogee, Treleigh, Pentruse, Trethewey, Eddystone and Treburrick.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Bibliography

Moira Tangye has published a new book on the Parish called The Book of St Ervan - The Story of a Rural Parish (ISBN - 1 84114 494 0). The book covers the history of the parish from the point of view of the families who have lived there and it contains hundreds of photographs too.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
  • The Parish Church - 184 entries.
  • Methodist Chapel - 130 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of St Ervan (HO107/150), Enumeration District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of St Ervan (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861.
    • The 1861 Census of St Merryn (RG9/1540), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1861 census, which is available in Book format.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of St Ervan (RG10/2253), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of St Ervan (RG11/2294), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of St Ervan (RG12/1818), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Ervan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8970 and was dedicated to St Hermes. The church comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south transept. There is a north door and a south porch. The tower is of two stages and is finished with battlements; it had three bells.
    A rare picture of the old tower of St Ervan church is available. The church is tucked away in the depths of the Cornish countryside in the centre of St.Ervan Churchtown with its Victorian Rectory and School-house and its older "Kiddlywink" (The Farmhouse) and Glebe Farm. The lane from the church runs down to a mill known to date from 1276, with a holy well on the right, halfway down. The pure water of which are still used for christenings. The church was supported by the Arundells who lived at the manor of Trembleath as early as 1240 and the first mention of the church that survives is 1208.
    The present church was built in the 13th and 14th centuries and it has never been enlarged. The original tower, 50 feet high and built in the 14th/15th centuries had the upper part brought down by explosives in the 1880s, but it was not properly capped until 1956 and now stands 24 feet high. The chancel has a twist to the south. There are 10 slate memorials and 2 marble memorials on the walls and a Georgian Pulpit which was thrown out with the box pews in 1880 and returned in the 20th century. There is a medieval bell standing under the tower, cast in the reign of Henry VI. John Betjeman mentioned the church in his poem "Summoned by Bells".
    The Anglican parish is now part of the United Benefice of St Mawgan, St Ervan and St Eval, which has its own website.
  • Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist and Bible Christian chapels in Rumford, and a Bible Christian chapel in Penrose.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1677 - 1917, Burials 1677 - 1812, Marriages 1674 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1602 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1701 to 1906 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1706 to 1840 for this parish.
    • Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers: St Ervan, St Breock, St Wenn, St Issey, Padstow, Roche, St Dennis, St Columb, St Merryn, St Eval, St Enoder, Little Petherick, Egloshayle, Wadebridge, Mawgan-in-Pydar and Colan.
  • Marriages.
    • Marriages 1837 to 1901, and Phillimore's marriages 1602 to 1812, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1602 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1677 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Ervan was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Bodmin Registration District. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • There is a website dedicated to the United Benefice of St Mawgan, St Eval and St Ervan.
  • Treginegar Farmhouse at St. Ervan, was absorbed into HMS VULTURE - (Royal Naval Air Station, St. Merryn) and became the Officers' Wardroom (Officers' Mess) during World War II. In a leaflet published in 1996 by John Shapland, an explanation of the term "Kiddlywink" in St Ervan refers to the INN at St Ervan -- not the Farmhouse. By the end of the 20th century, Treginegar was a Holiday Guesthouse, though there is still a working farm there.
You can see pictures of St Ervan which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Susan Old is also undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar. Information and a point of contact on this project can be found on-line.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which St Ervan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW890700 (Lat/Lon: 50.491651, -4.976222), St Ervan which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Ervan (1805) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • St Ervan parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1827 to 1837) and Bastardy Bonds (1841), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 358 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 331 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 422 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 453 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 476 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 447 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 437 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 449 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 291 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 337 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 274 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 265 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 280 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 303 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 322 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 298 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 395 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 375 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 476 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 408 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 521 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 3142 acres of land.