Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
St Gennys, (Cornish: Sen Gwynnys), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the sea and Poundstock, on the east by Jacobstow and Warbstow, on the south by Otterham and St Juliot, and on the west by the sea. The name comes from St.Genesius, the patron saint of the local church. This small village is on high cliffs on the north Cornish coast overlooking Bude Bay; it is remarkable for its uneveness. Its surface consists wholly of lofty hills and deep valleys. The High Cliff, near Crackington Haven measures 735 feet above sea-level. There are three pointed headlans jutting into the sea from this parish, namely: the Cambeak, Dizard Point and Castle Point.
Crackington Haven is situated at the mouth of a picturesque valley which divides the parish in two, each part supporting a thriving Methodist community. Wrecks are said to have supplied much of the building material of houses in the past but now there is more interest in rescues, the Bude Lifeboat being responsible for saving many lives.
The villages of the parish are Crackington, Roskear, and Penkuke.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall FHS offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Gennys (HO107/140), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Gennys (HO107/1897), Enumeration Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Gennys is listed in Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861.The 1861 Census of St Gennys (RG9/1514), Enumeration District 3B and 4B, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Gennys (RG10/2217), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Gennys (RG11/2271), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Gennys (RG12/1798), Enumeration Districts 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1497, and was dedicated to St Genesius. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has four obtuse arches with octagonal pillars; the north arcade has four obtuse arches supported chiefly on moulded pillars. There is a south porch, a priest's door, and a blocked north door. The tower is of one stage 22 feet high, surmounted by a pyramidal roof 10 feet in height; it contains four bells. The church was restored in 1871 under the direction of Mr. J. P. St. Aubyn, architect, at an expense of £1,100, when it was re-seated and a vestry added. There are 280 sittings.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Association chapel at Brockle built in 1842, and a Bible Christian chapel at Tremaynea.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Gennys are: C020971, E020971, M020971. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1697 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1702 - 1879, Burials 1702 - 1885, Marriages 1702 - 1901, Boyd's Marriage Index 1612 - 1673, BTs 1612 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1813 to 1879 (with gaps) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1734 to 1838 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
- Marriages 1687 to 1804 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1702 to 1901 (with gaps), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1612 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1702 to 1873 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of St Gennys is in the Stratton Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of St Gennys are available on-line.
- More pictures of St Gennys parish are also available.
You can see pictures of St Gennys which are provided by:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- There is also a genealogical website for the parish created by the former OPC, Mark Winnacott (as of March 2004 it was accessible, but no longer maintained).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Gennys ecclesiastical parish:
- Crackington (Crachemua, Crachenwe), Grid Reference 158957.
- Dizzard (Disart, Lisart), Grid Reference 169981.
- Pengold (Panguol, Pangvol), Grid Reference 138944.
- Rosecare (Roschel), Grid Reference 167957.
- St Gennys (Sainguinas, Sanguinas, Sanwinas), Grid Reference 149972.
- Trefreock (Trerihoc), Grid Reference 168953.
- Treworgie (Treurghen, Trevrgen), Grid Reference 178968.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX149971 (Lat/Lon: 50.743867, -4.625023), St Gennys which are provided by:
The North Cornwall Regiment of Volunteer Infantry was a force of local militia raised by Lt. Col. Wrey I'Ans of Whitstone House in 1803. Men of the 6th Company were recruited from St Gennys and adjoining parishes. They were almost all farmers, their servants, labourers and apprentices.
- St Gennys parish was part of the Stratton Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1789 to 1810) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 597 persons
- Population in 1811 - 658 persons
- Population in 1821 - 680 persons
- Population in 1831 - 761 persons
- Population in 1841 - 689 persons
- Population in 1851 - 649 persons
- Population in 1861 - 572 persons
- Population in 1871 - 534 persons
- Population in 1881 - 493 persons
- Population in 1891 - 430 persons
- Population in 1901 - 401 persons
- Population in 1911 - 434 persons
- Population in 1921 - 501 persons
- Population in 1931 - 524 persons
- Population in 1951 - 577 persons
- Population in 1961 - 554 persons
- Population in 1971 - 564 persons
- Population in 1981 - 745 persons
- Population in 1991 - 810 persons
- Population in 2001 - 810 persons
- Population in 2011 - 925 persons
The parish comprises 6065 acres of land, 2 acres of water and 320 acres of foreshore.