St Gennys, (Cornish: Sen Gwynnys), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and the Hundred of
Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the sea and Poundstock, on the east by
Jacobstow and Warbstow, on the south by Otterham and St Juliot, and on the
west by the sea. The name comes from St.Genesius, the patron saint of the local
church. This small village is on high cliffs on the north Cornish coast
overlooking Bude Bay; it is remarkable for its uneveness. Its surface consists
wholly of lofty hills and deep valleys. The High Cliff, near Crackington Haven
measures 735 feet above sea-level. There are three pointed headlans jutting
into the sea from this parish, namely: the Cambeak, Dizard Point and Castle
Haven is situated at the mouth of a picturesque valley which divides the
parish in two, each part supporting a thriving Methodist community. Wrecks are
said to have supplied much of the building material of houses in the past but
now there is more interest in rescues, the Bude Lifeboat being responsible for
saving many lives.
The villages of the parish are Crackington, Roskear,
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 473 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Records Office. The Cornwall FHS offers a census search
service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Gennys (HO107/140), Enumeration
District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1851 Census of St Gennys (HO107/1897), Enumeration
Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Gennys is listed in
Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861.The 1861 Census of St Gennys (RG9/1514), Enumeration
District 3B and 4B, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Gennys (RG10/2217), Enumeration
Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Gennys (RG11/2271), Enumeration
Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Gennys (RG12/1798), Enumeration
Districts 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1497, and was dedicated to St Genesius. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south
arcade has four obtuse arches with octagonal pillars; the north arcade has four
obtuse arches supported chiefly on moulded pillars. There is a south porch, a
priest's door, and a blocked north door. The tower is of one stage 22 feet
high, surmounted by a pyramidal roof 10 feet in height; it contains four
bells. The church was restored in 1871 under the direction of Mr. J. P. St. Aubyn, architect, at an expense of £1,100, when it was re-seated and a vestry added. There are 280 sittings.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Association chapel at Brockle built in 1842,
and a Bible Christian chapel at Tremaynea.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Gennys are: C020971, E020971, M020971. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1697 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1702 - 1879, Burials 1702 - 1885,
Marriages 1702 - 1901, Boyd's Marriage Index 1612 - 1673, BTs 1612 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
have published transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1813 to 1879 (with gaps) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1734 to 1838 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Camelford United Methodist Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Boscastle, Tintagel, St Gennys, St Teath, St Kew, St Minver, St Mabyn, Michaelstow, St Endellion, Altarnun, St Breward, St Tudy, Advent, Lanteglos, Minster and Wadebridge.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1836 to 1900) of the Camelford Wesleyan Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Advent, St Teath, Lanteglos, St Breward, Wadebridge, Boscastle, Port Isaac, St Breock, St Minver, St Endellion and St Mabyn.
- Marriages 1687 to 1804 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1702 to 1901 (with gaps), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1612 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1702 to 1873 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of St Gennys is in the Stratton Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of St Gennys are available on-line.
- More pictures of St
Gennys parish are also available.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Gennys ecclesiastical parish:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- There is also a genealogical
website for the parish created by the former OPC, Mark Winnacott (as of March 2004 it was accessible, but no longer maintained).
The North Cornwall Regiment of Volunteer Infantry was a force of local militia raised by Lt. Col. Wrey I'Ans of Whitstone House in 1803. Men of the 6th Company were recruited from St Gennys and adjoining parishes. They were almost all farmers, their servants, labourers and apprentices.
- Crackington (Crachemua, Crachenwe), Grid Reference 158957.
- Dizzard (Disart, Lisart), Grid Reference 169981.
- Pengold (Panguol, Pangvol), Grid Reference 138944.
- Rosecare (Roschel), Grid Reference 167957.
- St Gennys (Sainguinas, Sanguinas, Sanwinas), Grid Reference 149972.
- Trefreock (Trerihoc), Grid Reference 168953.
- Treworgie (Treurghen, Trevrgen), Grid Reference 178968.
- St Gennys parish was part of the Stratton
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts
(1789 to 1810) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 597 persons
- Population in 1811 - 658 persons
- Population in 1821 - 680 persons
- Population in 1831 - 761 persons
- Population in 1841 - 689 persons
- Population in 1851 - 649 persons
- Population in 1861 - 572 persons
- Population in 1871 - 534 persons
- Population in 1881 - 493 persons
- Population in 1891 - 430 persons
- Population in 1901 - 401 persons
- Population in 1911 - 434 persons
- Population in 1921 - 501 persons
- Population in 1931 - 524 persons
- Population in 1951 - 577 persons
- Population in 1961 - 554 persons
- Population in 1971 - 564 persons
- Population in 1981 - 745 persons
- Population in 1991 - 810 persons
- Population in 2001 - 810 persons
- Population in 2011 - 925 persons
The parish comprises 6065 acres of land, 2 acres of water and 320 acres of
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.