GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Gluvias, Penryn

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

This parish of St Gluvias, (Cornish: Bosheydhlann), was once known as Behethlan, Betheldan or Bohellan. It is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier; it is bounded on the north by Perranarworthal and Mylor, on the east by Mylor and Budock, on the south by Mabe and on the west by Stithians. The area known as St Gluvias is actually part of the town of Penryn, whose name comes from the Cornish 'pen rynn', meaning the 'end of a point or promontory'. Penryn Town was founded by the Bishop of Exeter in 1216. Until the Reform Act of 1830, it was also a borough; as a result of that act, Penryn was united with Falmouth.

The town of Penryn lies north west of the port of Falmouth, projecting into the creeks of Falmouth harbour, and until recently was an active port situated at the head of a creek that leads into the sheltered Carrick Roads. The town is behind the main Falmouth to Truro road.

Penryn was the location of the Glasney Theological College which was consecrated in 1267.

Apart from the town of Penryn. the principal village of Gluvias is Ponsanooth, which had its own Wesleyan Methodist chapel to which a cemetery was attached, and a Primitive Methodist chapel. Other villages are Burnthouse, and Treluswell, which also had its own Methodist chapel.

Archives & Libraries

There is a Museum in Penryn:

Penryn Museum
Town Hall,
Higher Market St.,
Penryn
Cornwall TR10 8LT

Tel: 01326 372158

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Gluvias, and town of Penryn, is in the Falmouth Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn, but these have now been abolished. Parishes and towns within the district are: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal and St. Gluvias. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Gluvias ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

History

There is an Historical Timeline for Penryn on-line.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Some military records, including prisoners in the Napoleonic Wars, are available.

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

The OPC has placed on-line information about the Treneer and Warmington families in Penryn.

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Newspaper extracts about individuals resident in Penryn 1836 to 1900 are available on-line courtesy of the OPC.

Return to top of page

Politics & Government

A list of Members of Parliament 1553 to 1701 is available.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 624 persons, plus 2324 in Penryn
  • Population in 1811 - 714 persons, plus 2713 in Penryn
  • Population in 1821 - 745 persons, plus 2933 in Penryn
  • Population in 1831 - 969 persons, plus 3521 in Penryn
  • Population in 1841 - 4484 persons, plus 3337 in Penryn
  • Population in 1851 - 4697 persons, plus 3959 in Penryn
  • Population in 1861 - 1213 persons, plus 3547 in Penryn
  • Population in 1871 - 1106 persons, plus 3679 in Penryn
  • Population in 1881 - 1037 persons, plus 3466 in Penryn
  • Population in 1891 - 991 persons, plus 3256 in Penryn
  • Population in 1901 - 995 persons, plus 3190 in Penryn
  • Population in 1911 - 851 persons, plus 3092 in Penryn
  • Population in 1921 - 856 persons, plus 3149 in Penryn
  • Population in 1931 - 888 persons, plus 3892 in Penryn
  • Population in 1951 - 713 persons, plus 4102 in Penryn
  • Population in 1961 - 724 persons, plus 4451 in Penryn
  • Population in 1971 - 823 persons, plus 5135 in Penryn
  • Population in 1981 - 1195 persons, plus 5115 in Penryn
  • Population in 1991 - 1235 persons, plus 5940 in Penryn
  • Population in 2001 - 1271 persons, plus 6227 in Penryn
  • Population in 2011 - 1505 persons, plus 6812 in Penryn.

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

Return to top of page

Societies

The Penryn & Falmouth Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 2142 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Town Records

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.