GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Ive

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Ive, (Cornish: Sen Iv), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Linkinhorne and South Hill, on the east by Callington and St Mellion, on the south by Quethiock, and on the west by Menheniot and St Cleer. Pronounced 'St Eve', this parish is inland in east Cornwall and must not be confused with the port of St Ives on the north coast. The parish derives its name, either from John, the elder son of Brechan, the petty king of Wales (In Wales, the name is Evan or Ivon) or it is named after an obscure saint (St. Ivo), who was believed to have been a Persian bishop who preached the gospel in England.

The small village of St Ive is on the A390 between Callington and Liskeard. The ancient farmhouse of Trebeigh was given to the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem in 1150, and there is a legend they built an underground passage between the church and the farmhouse in which they stored their treasure. The village of Pensilva is about two miles north-west and has splendid panoramic views stretching from St Austell to Plymouth and Dartmoor. It was built in the 19th century to serve the tin and copper mining industry. When the mines closed miners emigrated, chiefly to the USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa.

The chief villages of the parish are the Churchtown, Pensilva, and St Ive Cross. Pensilva was built to house miners in the early 19th century.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Ive has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Return to top of page

Court Records

Some Quarter Session Records for the parishes of Linkinhorne, South Hill and St Ive, are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Dwellings

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Ive ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

History

Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line a webpage for the history of St Ive parish.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is a record taken in 1873 of the number and names of owners of land of one acre and upwards in St Ive.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Some names of St Ive families being researched are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Newspaper Extracts of events in South Hill, and taken from the CORNISH TIMES 1857, 1858, 1859 & 1862, and the Sherborne & Yeovil Mercury 1773-1778, are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Politics & Government

The Free & Voluntary Present, as the name indicates, is a list of those persons making a voluntary contribution to the King. The list is those persons who went to Launceston on 8th November 1661, from the parishes of St Ive, Linkinhorne and South Hill. The amount they gave is indicated.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 468 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 535 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 602 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 656 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 768 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1013 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2593 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2952 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2121 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1716 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1392 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1267 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1215 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1250 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1158 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1201 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1386 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 2055 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 2110 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 2121 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 2205 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Ive are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

The Poll books recorded the names of everyone in Cornwall who voted at Parliamentary elections along with the names of the person they voted for. There are three poll books for the County, all at the Cornwall Record Office. 1710 (CF4787), 1774 (DX622), 1790 (PD208). Names for St Ive, Linkinhorne & Southill are available on-line.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.