Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
St Juliot, (Cornish: Sen Julet), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and the Hundred of Lesnewth. The parish is located on the north Cornwall coast; it is bounded on the north by St Gennys, on the east by Otterham, on the south by Davidstow and Lesnewth, and on the west by Minster, Forrabury and the Bristol Channel. The Valency river runs westwards through a steep valley in this parish to emerge at Boscastle. The church, dedicated to St Julitta, was the meeting place of the writer Thomas Hardy and his first wife - Emma Gifford. The parish was the inspiration for Endelstow in 'A Pair of Blue Eyes'.
The villages of the parish are: Beeney and Tresparrett.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Juliot (HO107/140), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of St Juliot (HO107/1898), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Juliot is listed in Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Juliot (RG9/1515), Boscastle Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Juliot (RG10/2218), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Juliot (RG11/2272), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Juliot (RG12/1799), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1219 and was dedicated to St Julitta (Juliot, Julyot, Juletta). She is said to have suffered death, having nbeen accused by a violent and wicked person who had previously taken from her by force some large possession. She is commemorated in the ancient Roman Calendar on the 30th of July.
The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and north transept. The chancel is separated from the nave by carved fragments of the screen. The arcade is composed of five four-centred arches of granite supported on monolith pillars of the same material. The south porch, which is strongly built of granite ashlar, is in the form of a small square tower finished with battlements. Because of dilapidation, the church was closed in 1868 for reconstruction. Of the original church, only the original 15th century south aisle (now forming the nave and chancel) survived the restoration; its sturdy oak Cornish wagon roof made to seem out of place against the plain pine pews and pine roof of the restored section. The tower is of three stages, and contained five bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Tresparrett.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1657 - 1879, Burials 1663 - 1983, Marriages 1656 - 1958, Boyd's Marriage Index 1623 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1623 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1657 to 1912 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1739 to 1880 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1623 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1656 to 1812, and transcription 1813 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1663 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of St Juliot is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford but these are now abolished. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of St Juliot which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Juliot ecclesiastical parish:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX120930 (Lat/Lon: 50.706104, -4.663990), St Juliot which are provided by:
St Juliot parish was part of the Camelford Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 199 persons
- Population in 1811 - 208 persons
- Population in 1821 - 263 persons
- Population in 1831 - 271 persons
- Population in 1841 - 267 persons
- Population in 1851 - 258 persons
- Population in 1861 - 226 persons
- Population in 1871 - 220 persons
- Population in 1881 - 224 persons
- Population in 1891 - 233 persons
- Population in 1901 - 211 persons
- Population in 1911 - 230 persons
- Population in 1921 - 229 persons
- Population in 1931 - 230 persons
- Population in 1951 - 197 persons
- Population in 1961 - 207 persons
- Population in 1971 - 177 persons
- Population in 1981 - 210 persons
- Population in 1991 - 290 persons
- Population in 2001 - 385 persons
- Population in 2011 - 328 persons
The parish comprises 2711 acres of land, one acre of water and 41 acres of foreshore.