GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Just-in-Roseland

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

St Just-in-Roseland, (Cornish: Lannsiek), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Philleigh, on the east by Gerrans and Gerrans Lake, on the south by St Mawes Creek and St Anthony's Pool which separates it from St Anthony, and on the west by Falmouth harbour and the sea. As its name suggests, it is located on the Roseland Peninsula to the south of Truro. It should not be confused with St Just-in-Penwith which is near Land's End. The parish is set on the western side of the Roseland and is undulating farmland. To the west is the Carrick Roads - a large natural harbour with the port of Falmouth on its western side.

The town of St Mawes, which is the chief place of residences, lies within the parish; it stretches along the shore line on the north side of Falmouth harbour.

The parish contains a castle, called St Mawes Castle, which was built by Henry VII in 1542. It is one of a pair, commanding Carrick Roads seaway and the entrance to Falmouth harbour, the other being Pendennis Castle at Falmouth. St Mawes has its own harbour where ferry services connect it with Falmouth and St Anthony and Gerrans.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Just-in-Roseland has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Just-in-Roseland ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

St Just-in-Roseland parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1416 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1639 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1648 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1558 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1488 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1557 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1546 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1479 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1342 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1178 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1121 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 985 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1057 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 970 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1248 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1438 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1329 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1050 persons, plus 230 persons in St Just village
  • Population in 1991 - 1185 persons, plus 295 persons in St Just village
  • Population in 2001 - 1197 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1158 persons

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Just-in-Roseland are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 2651 acres of land, 20 acres of tidal water and 117 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.