Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Kew

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Kew

The parish of St Kew, (Cornish: Lanndogho), (anciently called Lanow or Lanew) is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Endellion and St Teath, on the east by St Tudy and St Mabyn, on the south by Egloshayle and St Minver, and on the west by St Minver and St Endellion. St Kew and St Doghow, believed to be brother and sister, are the patron saints of the local church. They came from Gwent in south-east Wales. This rural parish is near the north coast of Cornwall south of Port Isaac. St Kew Churchtown is the heart of the parish. This contains the church, the old vicarage and a 15th century Inn. St Kew Highway is a hamlet on the A39; the other villages are the Churchtown, Chapel-Amble, Tregelles, Trelill, Trewerthan, Pendoggett, and Trequite.

St Kew is a parish and vicarage containing 216 houses, and 1113 inhabitants. It is 8 miles nearly N.W. from Bodmin, 7 S.W. from Camelford, 6 nearly E. from Padstow. and 3 1/2 from Wadebridge which is the Post office town. '(This information is taken from THE CORNWALL GAZETTEER first printed in 1817)'.


The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:

  • The Parish Church - 913 entries.
  • Chapel Amble Methodist Chapel - 169 entries.
  • Trelill Methodist Chapel - 25 entries.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Kew area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0276 and was originally dedicated to St Kew. (St Kew and St Doghow, believed to be brother and sister, were once regarded as the patron saints). The church is now dedicated to St James the Great. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each have five four-centred arches, supported on tall monolith pillars of granite of Pentewan stone. There is a south porch and a priest's door. The tower, which is 70 feet high, is buttressed on the square. It is of three stages and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. The turret of the newell rises three feet above the battlements. The belfry contains six bells.
  • Non-ConformistThere were chapels belonging to the United Methodist Free Church at St Kew Highway, Amble, Trelill, and Pendoggett.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Kew are: C022251/2, M025561/2. These are searchable by surname. 
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1564 - 1875.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1564 - 1891, Burials 1564 - 1910, Marriages 1564 - 1836, Boyd's Marriage Index 1563 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptism transcripts 1680 to 1911 (with early gaps), and BIshop's transcripts 1677 to 1772 (with gaps), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The OPC has published on-line Church of England baptisms for St Kew:

Civil Registration

The parish of St Kew is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been sice 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of St Kew are available on-line.
  • A website dedicated to St Kew is available.
You can see pictures of St Kew which are provided by:


  • OPC Assistance.
    • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
    • The OPC has produced a family history website for the parish.
  • Susan Old is undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Kew ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which St Kew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX020760 (Lat/Lon: 50.550085, -4.796363), St Kew which are provided by:


Apprenticeship Indentures for St Kew (1836) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • The OPC has also publish on-line Poor Law records for St Kew:
  • St Kew parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1777 to 1815) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.


  • Population in 1801 - 1095 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1113 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1218 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1316 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1429 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1336 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1182 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1178 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1132 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1043 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 911 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 884 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 808 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 859 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 853 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 866 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 717 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 850 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 932 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1026 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1094 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.


The parish comprises 7559 acres of land, 2 acres of tidal water and one acre of foreshore.

Voting Registers

The OPC has placed on-line Voters Lists as follows: