GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Kew

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Kew, (Cornish: Lanndogho), (anciently called Lanow or Lanew) is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Endellion and St Teath, on the east by St Tudy and St Mabyn, on the south by Egloshayle and St Minver, and on the west by St Minver and St Endellion. St Kew and St Doghow, believed to be brother and sister, are the patron saints of the local church. They came from Gwent in south-east Wales. This rural parish is near the north coast of Cornwall south of Port Isaac. St Kew Churchtown is the heart of the parish. This contains the church, the old vicarage and a 15th century Inn. St Kew Highway is a hamlet on the A39; the other villages are the Churchtown, Chapel-Amble, Tregelles, Trelill, Trewerthan, Pendoggett, and Trequite.

St Kew is a parish and vicarage containing 216 houses, and 1113 inhabitants. It is 8 miles nearly N.W. from Bodmin, 7 S.W. from Camelford, 6 nearly E. from Padstow. and 3 1/2 from Wadebridge which is the Post office town. '(This information is taken from THE CORNWALL GAZETTEER first printed in 1817)'.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Kew is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been sice 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Kew ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

The Muster Rolls of St Kew in 1569 are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Kew (1836) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1095 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1113 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1218 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1316 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1429 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1336 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1182 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1178 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1132 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1043 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 911 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 884 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 808 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 859 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 853 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 866 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 717 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 850 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 932 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1026 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1094 persons

Return to top of page

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 7559 acres of land, 2 acres of tidal water and one acre of foreshore.

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

The OPC has placed on-line Voters Lists as follows:

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.