The parish of St Mabyn, (Cornish: Sen Mabon), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred
of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Tudy, on the east by Blisland and
Helland, on the south by Egloshayle, and on the west by St Kew. According to
legend St Mabon, after whom the parish is named, was one of the 24 children of
At Dinham's Bridge, there is an arched bridge over the
River Laine, which separates this parish from St Kew. This river rises in the
neighbourhood of Camelford; it runs parallel with the Camel, to which it is a
tributary, for several miles before falling into that river in Egloshayle
The parish and village of St Mabyn are about 3 miles east of
Wadebridge, south of the A39. There are no other villages in the parish, but
there are many small manor houses, including Tregarden, Tredethy, Helligan and
Colquite, all built in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 252 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Mabyn, (HO107/152), is available on-line as follows:
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Mabyn (HO107/1904), Enumeration
Districts 6a and 6b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Mabyn (RG9/1535), Enumeration
Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Mabyn (RG10/2248), Enumeration
Districts 2 and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Mabyn (RG12/1815) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0473 and is dedicated to St Mabyn. It comprises a
chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each comprise seven
four-centred arches of granite, supported on monolith granite pillars with
sculptured capitals of St Stephens porcelain stone. There is a south porch, a
north door, and a priest's door. The tower, which is 75 feet in height, has
three stages. It has a parapet and pinnacles.
- Non-Conformist. There was a chapel belonging to the Methodist Free Church in the Churchtown, which had a graveyard. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel at Longstone.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Mabyn are: C002056, M002951, P002051. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1562 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1562 - 1846, Burials 1537 - 1890,
Marriages 1562 - 1983, Boyd's Marriage Index 1562 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1813 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1717 to 1844 for this parish.
- Baptisms of St Mabyn 1717 to 1824 are available on fiche from the Cornish Forefathers'
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Camelford United Methodist Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Boscastle, Tintagel, St Gennys, St Teath, St Kew, St Minver, St Mabyn, Michaelstow, St Endellion, Altarnun, St Breward, St Tudy, Advent, Lanteglos, Minster and Wadebridge.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1836 to 1900) of the Camelford Wesleyan Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Advent, St Teath, Lanteglos, St Breward, Wadebridge, Boscastle, Port Isaac, St Breock, St Minver, St Endellion and St Mabyn.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1837 to 1900) of the Bodmin Wesleyan Circuit, including Fletchers Bridge Chapel (1896 - 1900). Areas include: Bodmin, Lanlivery, Lanivet, Roche, Luxulyan, Cardinham, St Mabyn, Withiel, Egloshayle and St Breock.
- Burials 1813 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of St Mabyn is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now
been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Pictures of
St Mabyn are available on-line.
- Further information and photographs on St
Mabyn's people and village, past and present, are also available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Mabyn ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Susan Old is undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Mabyn (1667 - 1824) can be found in the Cornwall
- St Mabyn parish was part of the Bodmin
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1672 to 1810), Settlement Papers (1675 to 1842) and Bastardy Bonds (1624 to 1825) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 475 persons
- Population in 1811 - 560 persons
- Population in 1821 - 715 persons
- Population in 1831 - 793 persons
- Population in 1841 - 870 persons
- Population in 1851 - 772 persons
- Population in 1861 - 714 persons
- Population in 1871 - 765 persons
- Population in 1881 - 694 persons
- Population in 1891 - 628 persons
- Population in 1901 - 588 persons
- Population in 1911 - 522 persons
- Population in 1921 - 559 persons
- Population in 1931 - 531 persons
- Population in 1951 - 488 persons
- Population in 1961 - 510 persons
- Population in 1971 - 475 persons
- Population in 1981 - 595 persons
- Population in 1991 - 588 persons
- Population in 2001 - 560 persons
- Population in 2011 - 628 persons
The school log book from 1871 records all the admissions, absences, and details of all aspects of the day to day running of the school. Extracts from this log book, together with past photographs of the school, are available on-line.
The parish comprises 4088 acres of land and 13 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.