Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Martin By Looe

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Martin By Looe

The parish of St Martin-by-Looe, (Cornish: Penndrumm), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of the West. It is bounded on the north by Morval, on the east by St Germans, on the south by the sea, and on the west by East Looe. St Martins is a close, small parish and village on the south coast of Cornwall to the east of Looe. Its name comes from dedication of the church to St Martin of Tours. A small portion of the village of Hessenford was originally in this parish. Besides the Churchtown, the only other village is Millendreath.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

  • St Martin's is surrounded by its own burial ground, which was enlarged by 25 acres in 1882. Some pictures of gravestones in this cemetery are available on-line.
  • The municipal cemetery is known as the Lanchard Cemetery, and many of the non-conformist burials are in here.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1249 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of St Martin-by-Looe (HO107/153), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of St Martin-by-Looe (HO107/1903), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of St Martin-by-Looe (RG9/1531), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of St Martin-by-Looe (RG10/2243), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of St Martin-by-Looe (RG11/2287), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of St Martin-by-Looe (RG12/1812), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

  • St Martin, St Martin by Looe, Church of England

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Martin By Looe area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2555; it is dedicated to St Martin & St Keyne, but is sometimes known as St Martin of Tours. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, south transept and north transept. The chancel end of the south aisle is separated from the other parts of the church by an ancient screen; this is called the Langdon aisle. There is a north porch with a well-reserved Norman arch, a blocked south porch, a south transept door, a priest's door, a door to the Langdon aisle, and two others which are blocked. The tower, which is of three stages, is buttressed on the angles, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; the newell turret rises ten feet above the parapet. The belfry contains four bells.
    The church is now united with St Nicholas in Looe.
  • Non-Conformist. The arrangements for Non-Conformists in this parish are not known.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Martin-by-Looe are: C053221, E053221, M053221, P021031. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1597 - 1837.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1653 - 1968, Burials 1653 - 1957, Marriages 1653 - 1974, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1838 to 1911 for this parish, and 1709 to 1810 (for East Loee Chapelry), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The OPC has transcribed St Martin by Looe Baptisms 1876-1911, and is happy to do look-ups - (see under Genealogy).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1705 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Banns. Banns 1783 to 1812, and 1823 to 1878, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1813 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • The OPC has transcribed St Martin by Looe Burials 1853-1957, and is happy to do look-ups - (see under Genealogy).

Civil Registration

The parish of St Martin-by-Looe has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930's. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of St Martin By Looe which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Martin-by-Looe ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which St Martin By Looe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX260550 (Lat/Lon: 50.369040, -4.448166), St Martin By Looe which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • St Martin-by-Looe parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1666 to 1737) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 344 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 343 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 411 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 455 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 476 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 407 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 343 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 312 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 355 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 304 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 265 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 290 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 303 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 363 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 427 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 445 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 466 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 515 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 519 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 321 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 429 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 2461 acres of land.