St Mellion, (Cornish: Sen Melyan), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on
the north by the parishes of Callington and St Dominick, on the east by St
Dominick and Pillaton, on the south by Pillaton and Quethiock, and on the west
by St Ive. The parish name is taken from from St Melaine, a 6th century
bishop of Rennes. There was an episode in his life when he was upset by two
British priests who had come to work in Brittany and who tried to introduce
their Celtic form of worship.
St Mellion is a small parish immediately
south of Callington on the A388. Its only village is the Churchtown.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of St Mellion (HO107/133), Enumeration
District 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has been filmed by the LDS church - film
- The 1851 Census of St Mellion (HO107/1900), Enumeration
District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Mellion is listed in
Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Mellion (RG9/1525), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Mellion (RG10/2231), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Mellion (RG11/2282), Enumeration
District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Mellion (RG12/1808), Enumeration
District 5 is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3865; it is dedicated to St Melanus. It consists of a chancel, nave, south transept and north aisle. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches supported on monolith granite
pillars; the material is granite. The entrance is a south porch; the north door
is blocked and a central-heating system was installed in the north porch in the
19th century. The tower is built of Roborough stone; it has three stages, is
buttressed at the angles, and is finished with battlements and crosses at the
angles. The belfry contained five bells. The church was restored in 1862.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel at Bealbury.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1558 - 1880, Burials 1558 - 1932,
Marriages 1558 - 1979, Boyd's Marriage Index 1558 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line baptism records for St Mellion parish 1650 to 1845.
- The OPC has made the following baptism records in this parish available on-line:
- Baptisms 1675 to 1805 (Bishop's transcripts), and parish transcripts 1558 to 1812 and 1813 to 1880, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1696 to 1860 for this parish.
- The OPC has made the following marriages in this parish, available on-line:
- Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line marriage records for St Mellion parish 1813 to 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1558 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1558 to 1812, parish marriages 1558 to 1910, 1558 to 1624, and Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) 1675 to 1805, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has made the following burial records in this parish, available on-line:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
- Burials 1675 to 1805 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1558 to 1812, 1675 to 1805, 1813 to 1910 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of St Mellion is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of St Mellion are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Mellion ecclesiastical parish:
- Newton Ferrers (Niuuetona, Niweton, Niwetone), Grid Reference 346659.
Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line a webpage for the history of St Mellion parish.
- St Mellion parish was part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1737 to 1821) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 284 persons
- Population in 1811 - 326 persons
- Population in 1821 - 321 persons
- Population in 1831 - 330 persons
- Population in 1841 - 395 persons
- Population in 1851 - 324 persons
- Population in 1861 - 299 persons
- Population in 1871 - 303 persons
- Population in 1881 - 309 persons
- Population in 1891 - 285 persons
- Population in 1901 - 298 persons
- Population in 1911 - 287 persons
- Population in 1921 - 265 persons
- Population in 1931 - 215 persons
- Population in 1951 - 218 persons
- Population in 1961 - 195 persons
- Population in 1971 - 180 persons
- Population in 1981 - 160 persons
- Population in 1991 - 248 persons
- Population in 2001 - 377 persons
- Population in 2011 - 408 persons
The parish comprises 2984 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.