The parish of St Merryn, (Cornish: Sen Meryn), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It
is bounded on the north by the sea and Padstow, on the east by Padstow and St
Ervan, on the south by St Eval, and on the west by the sea. There is some doubt
over the identity of the saint who gave his or her name to this parish. Could be St Marina, an early saint of Asia Minor, or more likely the Celtic saint St Merin. The small village and parish lie immediately west to the parish of Padstow. In 1847 a lighthouse was built on Trevose headland. At
Harlyn Bay 130 Iron Age graves were discovered in 1900; they are believed to
have been a small dark-haired people who were the original inhabitants of
In World War II, the Royal Navy had an Air Station at St Merryn, which became HMS Vulture. The chief villages are the Churchtown, Trevarre, Trevarrick,
Towan, and the Cottages.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1110
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841.The 1841 Census of St Merryn (HO107/150), Enumeration
Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Merryn (HO107/1905), Enumeration
Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Merryn (RG10/2253), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Merryn (RG11/2294), Enumeration
District 4 [including Merchant Shipping], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Merryn (RG12/1818), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8874; it is dedicated to St Marina & later
St Thomas the Martyr. It is now dedicated to St Merryn.
The church consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle and north transept. The arcade has seven four-centred arches which, with pillars,
are sharply and bodly worked in Cataceuse stone. The font was removed here from
the ruins of St Constantine church in this parish. There are north and south
porches and a priest's door. The tower is low and stumpy in appearance,
consisting of two stages only. It contains six bells.
one-and-a-quarter miles to the south-west of St Merryn village are the ruins of
St Constantine church. They consist of a portion of the tower with its doorway,
and other fragments; no gravestones or other monuments are visible.
with so many Cornish churches, there are no real traces of the first church
building on the site, which would have been no more than a rough shelter
erected sometime after 650 A.D. when the Christian faith was first taught by
the missionary priest who came from Padstow. That budding would have been
enlarged by later centuries, but not until Norman times was the first cruciform
church erected. At the time of the first recorded Vicar, in 1259, there was a
chancel, nave and tower. In 1422 the Chancel was lengthened, and the
parishioners built the south aisle, south porch and two stages of the bell
tower. During the 20th century the roof has been reslated, the windows
overhauled, a new floor laid and pews replaced.
Today the church, a
sturdy, storm-resistant building, stands out from its Churchtown as it always
has done; around it a few cottages and the local public house, and the old
Vicarage. Additions in more recent times have included the parish hall, and a
new vicarage, but the surrounding landscape is timeless.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan
Methodists had a chapel at the Cottages, and the Bible Christians had one at
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1688 - 1929, Burials 1688 - 1892,
Marriages 1688 - 1952, Boyd's Marriage Index 1689 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1616 - 1689.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1861 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1709 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Columb Bible Christian Circuit. Areas include: St Columb, St Dennis, St Stephens, St Enoder, Roche, St Mawgan, Ladock, Newquay, St Wenn, St Eval, St Merryn and Perranzabuloe.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers St Ervan, St Breock, St Wenn, St Issey, Padstow, Roche, St Dennis, St Columb, St Merryn, St Eval, St Enoder, Little Petherick, Egloshayle, Wadebridge, Mawgan-in-Pydar and Colan.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1616 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1689 to 1812 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of St Merryn was originally in the St Columb Registration
District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but
these have now been abolished. It is now in the Bodmin Registration District. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Merryn are available on-line.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Susan Old is also undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.
- St Merryn parish was part of the St Columb
Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1796 to 1818) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 425 persons
- Population in 1811 - 458 persons
- Population in 1821 - 537 persons
- Population in 1831 - 576 persons
- Population in 1841 - 593 persons
- Population in 1851 - 591 persons
- Population in 1861 - 570 persons
- Population in 1871 - 566 persons
- Population in 1881 - 545 persons
- Population in 1891 - 489 persons
- Population in 1901 - 476 persons
- Population in 1911 - 464 persons
- Population in 1921 - 542 persons
- Population in 1931 - 508 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1962 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1107 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1138 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1120 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1390 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1608 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1692 persons
The parish comprises 3946 acres of land, 2 acres of tidal water and 217
acres of foreshore.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.