Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Michael Caerhays

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Michael Caerhays

The parish of St Michael Caerhays, (Cornish: Lannvighal), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by St Ewe and Gorran, on the east by Gorran, on the south by Veryan Bay, and on the west by Veryan and Cuby. The small village and parish of St Michael Caerhays is located on the south coast of Cornwall; it is named after St Michael and the name of the manor: Caerhayes. This manor is supposed to have been the Carioggel, or Cariahoil of the Domesday Survey of 1086. Although it was an ancient manor belonging to the Trevanion family, the old house was demolished and the present Georgian castellated house was built in 1808; it was designed by John Nash, the architect of Buckingham Palace. The terraced gardens contain many ornamental and exotic trees and are occasionally open to the public.

In November 1869, some labourers in digging a deep trench in the moorland of the parish discovered a lead box containing some 1600 pieces of Roman copper coins.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of St Michael Caerhays (HO107/146), Enumeration District 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of St Michael Caerhays (HO107/1908), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861.
    • The 1861 Census of St Michael Caerhays (RG9/1550), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871.
    • The 1871 Census of St Michael Caerhays (RG10/2268), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Carhayes (RG11/2304), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of St Michael Caerhayes (RG12/1824), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Michael Caerhays area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9642; it is dedicated to St Michael. The church, which stands alone on a hilltop, was dedicated on 5th October 1259. It consists of a chancel, nave, short south (or Trevanion) aisle, a north transept, and a vestry. The aisle is separated from the chancel by two arches supported on a monolith granite pillar. There is a south porch; the north door is blocked. The tower is of three stages and contains three bells, all dated 1540. In the arcade hangs a sword said to have been worn by Sir Hugh Trevanion at Bosworth Field in 1485.
  • Non-Conformist. The arrangements for Non-Conformists in the parish are not yet established.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Michael Caerhays are: P021021. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage for the parish is 1677 - 1772.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1590 - 1812, Burials 1588 - 1812, Marriages 1594 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1673, BTs 1608 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1677 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and parish transcripts 1813 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1720 to 1812 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Banns. Banns 1824 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • Marriages 1677 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1837 to 1911 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1594 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD marriages 1722 to 1837 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1681 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1813 to 1911 (parish transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1560 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD burials 1722 to 1812 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Michael Caerhays has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Caerhays are available on-line.
You can see pictures of St Michael Caerhays which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

  • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • The OPC has provided a genealogical website for this parish.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which St Michael Caerhays has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW960420 (Lat/Lon: 50.242632, -4.862483), St Michael Caerhays which are provided by:

Military Records

A list of those residents of St Michael Caerhays who served in the Home Guard during World War II is available on-line.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

St Michael Caerhays parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1747 to 1818) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 86 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 104 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 174 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 197 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 208 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 191 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 173 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 146 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 129 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 143 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 137 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 147 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 128 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 131 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 129 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 124 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 97 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 95 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 75 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 80 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 96 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Michael Caerhays are available on-line.

Statistics

The parish comprises 857 acres of land, 4 acres of water and 37 acres of foreshore.