GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Michael Caerhays

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Michael Caerhays, (Cornish: Lannvighal), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by St Ewe and Gorran, on the east by Gorran, on the south by Veryan Bay, and on the west by Veryan and Cuby. The small village and parish of St Michael Caerhays is located on the south coast of Cornwall; it is named after St Michael and the name of the manor: Caerhayes. This manor is supposed to have been the Carioggel, or Cariahoil of the Domesday Survey of 1086. Although it was an ancient manor belonging to the Trevanion family, the old house was demolished and the present Georgian castellated house was built in 1808; it was designed by John Nash, the architect of Buckingham Palace. The terraced gardens contain many ornamental and exotic trees and are occasionally open to the public.

In November 1869, some labourers in digging a deep trench in the moorland of the parish discovered a lead box containing some 1600 pieces of Roman copper coins.

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of St Michael Caerhays has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Description & Travel

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Maps

Military Records

A list of those residents of St Michael Caerhays who served in the Home Guard during World War II is available on-line.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

St Michael Caerhays parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1747 to 1818) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 86 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 104 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 174 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 197 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 208 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 191 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 173 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 146 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 129 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 143 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 137 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 147 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 128 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 131 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 129 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 124 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 97 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 95 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 75 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 80 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 96 persons

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for St Michael Caerhays are available on-line.

Statistics

The parish comprises 857 acres of land, 4 acres of water and 37 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.