The parish of St Neot, (Cornish: Lanniet), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is
bounded on the north by Altarnun, on the east by St Cleer and Liskeard, on the
south by St Pinnock and Bradock, and on the west by Warleggan, Temple and
Blisland. St Neot parish is in the centre of Cornwall, north of Liskeard. St
Neot founded a monastery here, and he is believed to have been a relative of
King Alfred. A thriving agricultural industry existed in the parish in the
past, particularly with sheep, provided enough money to build the beautiful
In the Domesday Survey of 1086, it is
"The clergy of St Neotus held NEOTESTOU, and they held it
at the time of King Edward (the Confessor); there are two hides which were
taxed; there are four borderers; it is worth five shillings. All this land,
except one acre of arable land which the Priests hold, was taken away from the
church by the Earl Odo holds it of him, and it is worth five shillings; it was
before this worth 20 shillings".
During the English civil war,
the village supported the royalist cause and this is still commemorated each
year by placing an oak branch on the church tower on Oak Apple Day. Tin used to
be mined in the area, and the village is said to be honeycombed with old mine
workings. Dozmary Pool is reputed to be in the Arthurian legend as the possible
site of Excalibur.
The principal villages are St Neot village, Ley and
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society
have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Trenant Bible Christian Chapel -
- Some individuals from St Cleer/St Neot area were buried at the Trenant Bible Christian Chapel at St Neot. St Cleer was quite a large parish so some people were buried at St Neot churchyard as it was closer (and some from St Neot were buried at St Cleer).
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
A Saxon Monastery is said to have existed here dedicated to St Neot who died
in AD 877, and was buried in the church. In 974, these relics were stolen by
Earl Aelric and his wife Ethelfleda, having founded a religious house at
Eynesbury in Huntingdonshire. The parish of St. Neots in
Huntingdonshire originally formed part of Eynesbury until 1113, when the Priory of
St Neots was given the whole manor in which their Priory was situated, and a
separate township with the name St Neots was given to it. These remains
were subsequently taken by the Abbot of Crowland Abbey in 1213, but they were
later moved back to Eynesbury; they were later lost.
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Neot (HO107/153), Enumeration
Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Neot (HO107/1902), Enumeration
Districts 4a, 4b and 4c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Neot (RG9/1530) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Neot is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Neot (RG11/2286), Enumeration
Districts 13 to 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Neot (RG12/1811) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Parish Church. The parish church of St Neot in Cornwall is
located in OS Grid Square SX1867 and was dedicated to St Neotus on 14th October
1321. It consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south
arcade has seven four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars; the
north has six similar arches with like pillars and a seventh, or most eastern,
which is an ogee arch and much less than the others. The church is well-known
for its stained-glass windows, most of which date from the 15th or 16th
century. There is a south porch, a north porch which is now used as a vestry,
and north and south chancel doors. The church is buttressed throughout. The
tower is 71 feet in height; it has thre stages, and the parapet is finished
with battlements. The belfry contains six bells.
- Mission Churches. St Neot's parish had two mission projects:
- St Simon and St Jude at Ley. The church had a single bell. The Mission Church at Ley is now a private residence and the bell was removed to St Neot Church many years ago.
- St Agatha's. This was a mission room at Draynes; it was moved some years ago to be the Church hall at St Cleer and in the past few years has been demolished.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in St Neot village, and a Bible Christian chapel at Trenant.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1549 - 1950, Burials 1549 - 1898,
Marriages 1550 - 1947, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1673, BTs 1610 - 1673, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1549 to 1911, and 1680 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- St Neot Bible Christian Chapel baptisms 1837 to 1857 (registers also include Liskeard) are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1710 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1869 to 1900) of the Michaelstow Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Michaelstow, Blisland, St Teath, Minster, Advent, Tintagel, St Breward, Forrabury, Lanteglos, St Endellion, Trevalga, St Neot, Temple, St Minver, Altarnun, Lesnewth, St Tudy, Davidstow, and Camelford.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Bible Christian Circuit. These comprise baptisms (1837 to 1900). The areas cover Liskeard, St Ive, St Cleer, Altarnun, Menheniot, St Neot, Broadoak, and certain other parishes.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Wesleyan Circuit. These comprise baptisms 1834 to 1900. The areas cover Liskeard, Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Linkinhorne, Looe, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, Quethiock, St Germans, St Ive, St Martins, St Neot, St Pinnock, St Veep, St Winnow, South Hill and Talland.
- Banns. Banns 1756 to 1809, and 1846 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD format.
- Burials 1549 to 1936, including Bishop's transcripts 1680 to 1772, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of St Neot has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin,
Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- Historical sketch of the parish of Saint Neot (Cornwall). Including the life of Saint Neot, together with a description of the Parish church and its windows, and the Ballad of Tregeagle, by William A. Axworthy (Published 1906), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Neot ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.
St Neot parish was part of the Liskeard
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Parochial accounts, seventeenth century, St. Neot's, Cornwall, by J.H. Lefroy (Published 1891), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.
- Population in 1801 - 906 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1041 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1255 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1424 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1515 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1628 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1584 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1608 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1303 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1237 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1020 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1074 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1086 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1009 persons
- Population in 1951 - 932 persons
- Population in 1961 - 799 persons
- Population in 1971 - 824 persons
- Population in 1981 - 820 persons
- Population in 1991 - 892 persons
- Population in 2001 - 867 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1000 persons
The parish comprises 14090 acres of land and 75 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 24th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.