GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Neot

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Neot, (Cornish: Lanniet), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by Altarnun, on the east by St Cleer and Liskeard, on the south by St Pinnock and Bradock, and on the west by Warleggan, Temple and Blisland. St Neot parish is in the centre of Cornwall, north of Liskeard. St Neot founded a monastery here, and he is believed to have been a relative of King Alfred. A thriving agricultural industry existed in the parish in the past, particularly with sheep, provided enough money to build the beautiful parish church.

In the Domesday Survey of 1086, it is recorded:
"The clergy of St Neotus held NEOTESTOU, and they held it at the time of King Edward (the Confessor); there are two hides which were taxed; there are four borderers; it is worth five shillings. All this land, except one acre of arable land which the Priests hold, was taken away from the church by the Earl Odo holds it of him, and it is worth five shillings; it was before this worth 20 shillings".

During the English civil war, the village supported the royalist cause and this is still commemorated each year by placing an oak branch on the church tower on Oak Apple Day. Tin used to be mined in the area, and the village is said to be honeycombed with old mine workings. Dozmary Pool is reputed to be in the Arthurian legend as the possible site of Excalibur.

The principal villages are St Neot village, Ley and Dreynes.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

A Saxon Monastery is said to have existed here dedicated to St Neot who died in AD 877, and was buried in the church. In 974, these relics were stolen by Earl Aelric and his wife Ethelfleda, having founded a religious house at Eynesbury in Huntingdonshire. The parish of St. Neots in Huntingdonshire originally formed part of Eynesbury until 1113, when the Priory of St Neots was given the whole manor in which their Priory was situated, and a separate township with the name St Neots was given to it. These remains were subsequently taken by the Abbot of Crowland Abbey in 1213, but they were later moved back to Eynesbury; they were later lost.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Neot has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Neot ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

St Neot parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 906 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1041 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1255 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1424 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1515 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1628 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1584 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1608 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1303 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1237 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1020 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1074 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1086 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1009 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 932 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 799 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 824 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 820 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 892 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 867 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1000 persons

Return to top of page

Public Records

Parochial accounts, seventeenth century, St. Neot's, Cornwall, by J.H. Lefroy (Published 1891), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 14090 acres of land and 75 acres of water.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 24th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.