The parish of St Pinnock is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It
is bounded on the north by St Neot and Liskeard, on the east by Liskeard and
Duloe, on the south by Lanreath, and on the west by Bradock (Broad Oak). There
is a reference to a St Pynnock in 1395 but not much else is known of
this saint who gave his name to this parish west of Liskeard.
village of St Pinnock is south of the A38 between Liskeard and Lostwithiel. The
villages are the Churchtown, East Taphouse, and Penfrane or Penvrane.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Pinnock (HO107/153), Enumeration
Districts 16 and 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Pinnock (HO107/1902), Enumeration
Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Pinnock (RG9/1530), Enumeration
Districts 16 and 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Pinnock (RG10/2240), Enumeration District 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Pinnock (RG11/2286), Enumeration
District 16, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Pinnock (RG12/1811), Enumeration
Districts 16 and 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX2063 and was dedicated to St
Pinnock (Pynocus). It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and
south transept. The arcade has four four-centred arches supported on monolith
granite pillars with caps of Pentewan stone. The entrances are a south porch
and a priest's door. The tower has three low stages, is buttressed on the
square, and terminates with battlements and pinnacles; it contains four bells.
The churchyard is entered through a lych gate.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Bethel, and a United Methodist Free Church chapel at Connon.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Pinnock are: P021791. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1682 - 1772.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1566 - 1978, Burials 1546 - 1896,
Marriages 1539 - 1948, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1813 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD baptisms 1738 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Bible Christian Circuit. These comprise baptisms (1837 to 1863). The areas cover Liskeard, St Ive, St Cleer, Altarnun, Menheniot, St Neot, Broadoak, St Pinnock and certain other parishes.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Wesleyan Circuit. These comprise baptisms 1834 to 1900. The areas cover Liskeard, Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Linkinhorne, Looe, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, Quethiock, St Germans, St Ive, St Martins, St Neot, St Pinnock, St Veep, St Winnow, South Hill and Talland.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Looe Bible Christian Circuit. These comprise baptisms 1848 to 1900. The areas cover Looe, St Keyne, St Pinnock, Lansallos, Talland St Veep, Duloe, Liskeard, Lanreath, Boconnoc, Pelynt, St Martins, and Polperro.
- Banns. Banns 1835 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1813 to 1896 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of St Pinnock has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin,
Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Pinnock are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Pinnock ecclesiastical parish:
St Pinnock parish was part of the Liskeard
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 302 persons
- Population in 1811 - 316 persons
- Population in 1821 - 431 persons
- Population in 1831 - 425 persons
- Population in 1841 - 421 persons
- Population in 1851 - 627 persons
- Population in 1861 - 571 persons
- Population in 1871 - 577 persons
- Population in 1881 - 500 persons
- Population in 1891 - 433 persons
- Population in 1901 - 421 persons
- Population in 1911 - 376 persons
- Population in 1921 - 374 persons
- Population in 1931 - 337 persons
- Population in 1951 - 339 persons
- Population in 1961 - 342 persons
- Population in 1971 - 000 persons
- Population in 1981 - 410 persons
- Population in 1991 - 455 persons
- Population in 2001 - 621 persons
- Population in 2011 - 673 persons
The parish comprises 3486 acres of land and 2 acres of water.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 30th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.