The parish of St Stephens-by-Saltash, (Cornish: Treveu), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Botus Fleming and Landulph, on the east by the River Tamar, the town of Saltash and the (once) Cornish part of St Budeaux, on the south by St Germans Creek, and on the west by the River Lynher which separates it from St Erney and Landrake. A detached part of the parish, called Howton, is bounded by Pillaton, Botus Fleming, Landrake and Quethiock.
This parish originally covered the town of Saltash, until a separate ecclesiastical parish of Saltash was formed in 1881. It still covers the area west of the town of Saltash, and is the remnant of the original parish when the town was separated from it in 1697. The neighbouring village of St Germans is on the lower reaches of the River Tiddy.
The name of the village is taken from the Bishop of Auxerre, to whom the original church was dedicated. Early in the 12th century it became a priory of Augustinian canons. The manor and castle of Trematon, is the Tremetone in the Domesday Survey of 1086. The remains of the castle comprise a keep, gateway and the bass-court. Quarrying was an important industry in this parish.
The main villages are the Churchtown, Burraton, Elmgate, Forder, Longlands, Notter, Trehan, Trematon, Trevollard, Wearde, Antony Passage and Carkeel. The Churchtown is now just a suburb of Saltash town; in 1951, St Stephens became part of Saltash civil parish again.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)