The parish of St Stephens-by-Saltash, (Cornish: Treveu), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred
of East. It is bounded on the north by Botus Fleming and Landulph, on the east
by the River Tamar, the town of Saltash and the (once) Cornish part of St Budeaux, on the
south by St Germans Creek, and on the west by the River Lynher which separates
it from St Erney and Landrake. A detached part of the parish, called
Howton, is bounded by Pillaton, Botus Fleming, Landrake and
This parish originally covered the town of Saltash, until a separate ecclesiastical parish of Saltash was formed in 1881. It still covers the area west of the town of Saltash, and is the remnant of the original parish when the town was separated from it in 1697. The neighbouring village of St Germans is on the lower reaches of the River Tiddy.
The name of the village is
taken from the Bishop of Auxerre, to whom the original church was dedicated. Early in
the 12th century it became a priory of Augustinian canons. The manor and castle
of Trematon, is the Tremetone in the Domesday Survey of 1086. The
remains of the castle comprise a keep, gateway and the bass-court. Quarrying
was an important industry in this parish.
The main villages are the
Churchtown, Burraton, Elmgate, Forder, Longlands, Notter, Trehan, Trematon, Trevollard, Wearde, Antony Passage and Carkeel. The Churchtown is now just a suburb of Saltash town; in 1951, St Stephens became part of Saltash civil parish again.
Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded.
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of St Stephens-by-Saltash (HO107/135), Enumeration
Districts 2 to 4 [including schools], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS
church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of St Stephen-by-Saltash (HO107/1900), Enumeration
Districts 3a and 3b [including schools], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Stephens-by-Saltash is
listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Stephen-by-Saltash (RG9/1525), Enumeration
Districts 8 and 9 [including Schools], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Stephen-by-Saltash (RG10/2232), Enumeration
Districts 9 and 10 [including Schools], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Stephens-by-Saltash (RG11/2282), Enumeration
Districts 10 and 11 [including Reform Schools], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Stephens-by-Saltash (RG12/1808), Enumeration
Districts 10 and 11 - including schools, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4158 and was dedicated to St Stephen. It is built in a Perpendicular style, comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a vestry. The arches on each side of the chancel are supported on piers each pierced by
two openings, one over the other. The south arcade has five four-centred
arches, and the north four; the pillars are fine granite monoliths. The vestry
adjoins the east end of the north aisle. The entrances are a south porch and a
north door. The tower, said to be 100 feet high, has three stages, is
buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and stump pinnacles.
The newel projects from the centre of the north side. The belfry contains six
bells all cast in 1760. The registers date from 1545.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Trematon, Forder and Burraton; at Burraton there was also a chapel for the Plymouth Brethren.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Stephens are: C023031/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1679 - 1772.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1545 - 1973, Burials 1545 - 1974,
Marriages 1545 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1599 - 1673, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837, BTs 1599 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Churchwardens accounts for St Stephens-by-Saltash (1729-1750) are available
in the Lambeth Palace
- Baptisms 1679 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1900 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1728 to 1842 for this parish.
- Banns. Banns 1848 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages 1679 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1546 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1679 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1894 to 1937 (transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in Bork and CD file formats.
The parish of St Stephens-by-Saltash is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, St Germans, Cornwall. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Stephens-by-Saltash ecclesiastical parish:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Stephens-by-Saltash (1744 - 1832) can be
found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- St Stephens-by-Saltash parish was part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers'
Accounts (1673 to 1718, 1739 to 1780, 1782 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1718 to
1852) and Bastardy Bonds (1715 to 1832), are available in the Cornwall
- Some Overseers' Rates, Accounts and Records have been transcribed by Rita Bone Kopp and are available on-line.
The parish was created from part of Saltash parish in 1697. From 1951
onwards St Stephens became part of Saltash
civil parish again.
- Population in 1801 - 1004 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1121 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1325 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1455 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1422 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1374 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1387 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1377 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1421 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1516 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2109 persons
- Population in 1911 - 2422 persons
- Population in 1921 - 2925 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2727 persons
The parish comprises 5833 acres of land and 1200 acres of water.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 25th March 2012 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.