GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Teath

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Teath (pronounced 'St Teth'), (Cornish: Eglostedha), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by Tintagel and the detached part of Lanteglos, on the east by Lanteglos and Michaelstow, on the south by St Tudy and St Kew, and on the west by St Endellion and the sea. St Teath is situated on the north coast of Cornwall surrounded by green hills, between the parishes of Port Isaac and Tintagel. The name is derived from the patron saint of the local church St Tetha, who legend says was one of the 24 children of the Welsh king Broccan, but there was a 9th century Breton priest with the same name.

St Teath claims Vice-Admiral William Bligh (of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) was born here in 1753, although the neighbouring parish of St Tudy has put in a rival claim. The village of Delabole lies due west of Camelford on the B3314. It is the home of the world famous Delabole Slate Quarry and the first commercial wind-farm to be operated in Britain. On the site of the wind-farm, is now located the Gaia Energy Centre.

Besides the Churchtown and Delabole, the villages in this parish are Medrose, Pengelly.


Return to top of page


Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Until 1996 the records of St Teath Parish Church remained in the church and were not deposited at the County Record Office with the other parish records from Cornwall. In July 1996 the records were finally deposited in the CRO and indexes to the records made by the Cornwall Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of St Teath is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford but these are now abolished. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page


OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Teath ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page


  • Population in 1801 - 911 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 875 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 990 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1280 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1719 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2204 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1980 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2245 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1994 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1703 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1836 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1892 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1839 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1893 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1818 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1691 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1638 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1770 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 2085 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 2343 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 2605 persons

Return to top of page


The parish comprises 5904 acres of land, one acre of water and 77 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page

Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 1st October 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI ( website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.