We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Tudy

The parish of St Tudy, (Cornish: Eglostudi), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Teath and Michaelstow, on the east by St Breward, on the south by St Mabyn, and on the west by St Kew. Saint Tudy is also honoured at several places in Brittany, and may be a pet-form name for St Tugdual, who was an important Breton saint (O.J.Padel).

The parish is situated in a farming area between the Rivers Camel and Allen. The Bligh family (of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' fame) lived at Tinten for several generations; several of them became mayors of Bodmin. The only village is the Churchtown.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 317 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Tudy area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0676 and was dedicated to St Tudius. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and a short north aisle. The south arcade has six four-centred arches on monolith granite pillars; the north arcade has three similar arches with like pillars. There are a south porch, a priest's door, and a blocked north door. The tower has three stages, is 64 feet in height, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains five bells.
    St Tudy church was "thoroughly restored" in 1873 (when the excellent wagon roofs were "bereft" of intervening plaster). The tower was repaired in 1887-8. Further information on the church is available.
  • Non-Conformist. There is a United Methodist Free Church chapel in the Churchtown.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1559 - 1865, Burials 1559 - 1899, Marriages 1560 - 1963, Boyd's Marriage Index 1560 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Parish Registers - General. The parish registers (i.e. all the births, marriages and burial records) from 1559 to the present day have been transcribed by the parish. St Tudy Church Records Database (the church records for Burials, Baptisms and Marriages from 1559 to 2000) have been put onto a database. A printout of the records in both date order and alphabetical order can be viewed by contacting Rev. Margaret Millson at the St Tudy Rectory.
    A copy of the database on CD can be obtained by contacting Sue Dibble.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1813 to 1911 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1740 to 1840 for this parish.
    • Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Camelford United Methodist Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Boscastle, Tintagel, St Gennys, St Teath, St Kew, St Minver, St Mabyn, Michaelstow, St Endellion, Altarnun, St Breward, St Tudy, Advent, Lanteglos, Minster and Wadebridge.
    • Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1869 to 1900) of the Michaelstow Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Michaelstow, Blisland, St Teath, Minster, Advent, Tintagel, St Breward, Forrabury, Lanteglos, St Endellion, Trevalga, St Neot, Temple, St Minver, Altarnun, Lesnewth, St Tudy, Davidstow, and Camelford.
  • Banns. Banns 1823 to 1900 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Tudy is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of St Tudy are available on-line.
  • The village of St Tudy has a web site; this site includes more photographs and historical information as well as current information.
  • Information on the modern occupants of St Tudy is also available.
You can see pictures of St Tudy which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Susan Old is undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.
  • Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Tudy ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Tudy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX060760 (Lat/Lon: 50.551427, -4.739968), St Tudy which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Tudy (1803 - 1828) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • St Tudy parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1797 to 1838) and Settlement Papers (1830), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 502 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 512 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 605 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 658 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 661 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 652 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 570 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 579 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 521 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 520 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 495 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 499 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 450 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 485 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 437 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 413 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 391 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 440 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 570 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 637 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 000 persons

Religion and Religious Life

Statistics

The parish comprises 3283 acres of land.