The parish of St Tudy, (Cornish: Eglostudi), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred
of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Teath and Michaelstow, on the east
by St Breward, on the south by St Mabyn, and on the west by St Kew. Saint Tudy
is also honoured at several places in Brittany, and may be a pet-form name for
St Tugdual, who was an important Breton saint (O.J.Padel).
The parish is
situated in a farming area between the Rivers Camel and Allen. The Bligh family
(of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' fame) lived at Tinten for several
generations; several of them became mayors of Bodmin. The only village is the
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 317 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Tudy (HO107/152), Enumeration
Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Tudy (HO107/1904), Enumeration
Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Tudy (RG9/1535), (Enumeration
District 4 and 5), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Tudy (RG10/2248), Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Tudy (RG11/2290), Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Tudy (RG12/1815) (Enumeration
Districts 8 and 9), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish church
is located in OS Grid Square SX0676 and was dedicated to St Tudius. It
comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and a short north aisle. The south
arcade has six four-centred arches on monolith granite pillars; the north
arcade has three similar arches with like pillars. There are a south porch, a
priest's door, and a blocked north door. The tower has three stages, is 64
feet in height, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains
St Tudy church was "thoroughly restored" in 1873
(when the excellent wagon roofs were "bereft" of intervening plaster). The
tower was repaired in 1887-8. Further
information on the church is available.
- Non-Conformist. There is a United Methodist Free
Church chapel in the Churchtown.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1559 - 1865, Burials 1559 - 1899,
Marriages 1560 - 1963, Boyd's Marriage Index 1560 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Parish Registers - General. The parish registers (i.e. all the births, marriages and burial records) from 1559 to the present day have been transcribed by the parish. St Tudy Church
Records Database (the church records for Burials, Baptisms and Marriages from
1559 to 2000) have been put onto a database. A printout of the records in both
date order and alphabetical order can be viewed by contacting Rev. Margaret
Millson at the St Tudy Rectory.
A copy of the database on CD can be
obtained by contacting Sue Dibble.
- Baptisms 1813 to 1911 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1740 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Camelford United Methodist Circuit. Areas include: Camelford, Boscastle, Tintagel, St Gennys, St Teath, St Kew, St Minver, St Mabyn, Michaelstow, St Endellion, Altarnun, St Breward, St Tudy, Advent, Lanteglos, Minster and Wadebridge.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1869 to 1900) of the Michaelstow Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Michaelstow, Blisland, St Teath, Minster, Advent, Tintagel, St Breward, Forrabury, Lanteglos, St Endellion, Trevalga, St Neot, Temple, St Minver, Altarnun, Lesnewth, St Tudy, Davidstow, and Camelford.
- Banns. Banns 1823 to 1900 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of St Tudy is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now
been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Tudy are available on-line.
- The village of St Tudy has a web site; this site
includes more photographs and historical information as well as current
- Information on the modern occupants
of St Tudy is also available.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Tudy ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Susan Old is undertaking the reconstruction of parishes in the Hundred of Pydar.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.
- Lamellon (Lantmanuel, Landmanvel), Grid Reference 056774.
- Polroad (Polroda, Polrode), Grid Reference 058782.
- St Tudy (Ecglostudic, Hecglostudic), Grid Reference 066764.
- Tinten (Tinten, Thinten), Grid Reference 069754.
- Trewen (Treguin, Trewin), Grid Reference 053769.
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Tudy (1803 - 1828) can be found in the Cornwall
- St Tudy parish was part of the Bodmin
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts
(1797 to 1838) and Settlement Papers (1830), are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 502 persons
- Population in 1811 - 512 persons
- Population in 1821 - 605 persons
- Population in 1831 - 658 persons
- Population in 1841 - 661 persons
- Population in 1851 - 652 persons
- Population in 1861 - 570 persons
- Population in 1871 - 579 persons
- Population in 1881 - 521 persons
- Population in 1891 - 520 persons
- Population in 1901 - 495 persons
- Population in 1911 - 499 persons
- Population in 1921 - 450 persons
- Population in 1931 - 485 persons
- Population in 1951 - 437 persons
- Population in 1961 - 413 persons
- Population in 1971 - 391 persons
- Population in 1981 - 440 persons
- Population in 1991 - 570 persons
- Population in 2001 - 637 persons
- Population in 2011 - 000 persons
The parish comprises 3283 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 25th March 2012 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.